Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Members-- What is your ratio of turkeys taken on different lands for Spring ?

Started by quavers59, May 30, 2017, 03:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvspitndrum

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Double B

All public for me, except for 2 Merriams off an Indian reservation years ago.   I like big chunks of public.
Followed by buzzards

Tom Foolery

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

sps20

After 53 years of this obsession
about 95% public and 5% private
a long time ago.
Regards
Turk

Farmboy27

Most of my hunting is on private property that is basically open to public hunting. It's probably hunted harder than any public ground around. I've only ever killed 4 on truely private land. 2 in Texas and 2 in South Dakota. Around here, if there aren't posted signs up then it's fair game. And I don't hunt any posted land.

Forked lighting

100 % private land for 50 years

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

coonhunter

Joshua 24:15

renegade19

85% Public would be my best guess.  Private is with permission, never hunted a club/lease.

Cut N Run

65% leased land
30% small private hard hunted lands
5% public gamelands

Even though there is a lot of public land in this area, it can only be hunted by being drawn & my name hasn't been drawn yet. My public land birds have come from gamelands ~100 miles away that is open to anyone 6 days per week.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

deerhunt1988

81% public
19% private

For my home state of MS:

63% public
37% private

GobbleNut

I would guess the ratio is around 95% public to 5% private. 

I actually prefer to hunt public land in most cases, but sometimes it is just not available.  Public areas are almost invariably larger in size than private parcels and if I am confined to a small parcel of land, I feel like a caged animal. 

As for the difficulty of hunting birds on public as compared to private, there are both easy and hard birds just about anywhere, but on hard-hunted areas, whether public or private, the birds will almost always be harder to kill than on lightly-hunted areas.  If I just want to kill a turkey, give me a lightly-hunted private parcel with controlled access any day of the week.