OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Abscess on a turkey, should I eat it?

Started by chcltlabz, May 27, 2017, 10:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

When I was cleaning this bird, I noticed this abscess around the breastbone. It didn't smell, but looks nasty. Meat looked normal. Bird was healthy and gobbling and strutting right until he died of heavy metal poisoning. Only other oddity he had beard rot.

What do you think, should I eat it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

LaLongbeard

That looks pretty nasty think I would toss the meat and keep the spurs/fan/beard
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

1iagobblergetter

I couldn't chew on anything coming off of that one. I'm dang near throwing up looking at it....

MS Boy

Throw a little salt and pepper on it and all should be good...I doubt I would try it tho. Lol

Spitten and drummen

Nope. May not be a thing wrong with it , but if your not starving , I wouldnt chance it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

agree, don't think i would eat it either..i couldn't chew on it knowing it was nasty...

TauntoHawk

I wouldn't

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Natty Bumpo

Nnnnooooooooooooo......

You will never see a bigger abscess in a bird. That bird certainly had bacteremia, i.e.  bacteria in the blood stream, and that means ALL flesh from that turkey would be extremely dangerous to eat.

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mgm1955

Cottonmouth

That will make you lego your eggo. Don't do it.

silvestris

The rest of us us need a test dummy.  You were chosen at random.  Bon appetti.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

grayfox

cuppednlocked

Brent, that doesn't look too bad...  :-X

I know how much you like turkey, what could go wrong?!

LOL