OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jake call

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 23, 2017, 09:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

This time of year our birds are starting to form summer flocks and sounding like a jake might be the ticket to calling in a group of toms.  Is there a call out there that sounds like a jake.  (deeper yelps than a traditional hen call)

S.C.C

Tube callers make great jake yelps and gobbles

bobk

Larry Gresser  @ Prairie Game Calls Jake Pot. Mike Yingling Copper and Brass pot calls with the right striker. Rohm Brothers Gobbler Slate. These  will all get the sound you are looking for

idratherb

roger parks gobbler slate, gulvas mouth call or jake wingbone

Longbeardfever4ever

I just run a mouth call normally.  Slower and deeper with a clear front end that ends quickly in that yonk!
Tube calls make some of the best jake yelps too.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

KentuckyHeadhunter

Most box calls can replicate jake sounds by closing the lid further on the yelps.  Also Permar's Roanoke trumpet is perfect for Jake yelps.   
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

EZ

Chris O

I've heard jakes make the first note of the Kee kee then go right into a yelp.Box calls make the best gobbler yelps IMO

ferocious calls

My Sycamore short box the Full Choke, has had them run to it with jake/Tom yelps. Works great in the fall for Toms' as well. Usually just 2 drawn out yelps.

A friend and I were walking back to the rig when he tapped me and said he just heard Yelp Yelp from over the hill we were just on. We roosted 4 longbeards the eve before while bow hunting on that hillside. I pulled out the Full Choke short box and gave 2 Tom Yelps. I got a phone call and leaned my gun against a tree. Here he comes head down on a dead run straight at us. He stopped at 30 feet in a spot where sun pierced through the canopy like he was under a spotlight. I whispered over my shoulder, shoot that son of a gun. My friend said, my gun is against the tree too. Neither of us will ever forget that hunt. That was one of the prettiest longbeards we didn't get.

howl

Quote from: bobk on May 23, 2017, 09:47:08 AM
Larry Gresser  @ Prairie Game Calls Jake Pot. Mike Yingling Copper and Brass pot calls with the right striker. Rohm Brothers Gobbler Slate. These  will all get the sound you are looking for

I have taken several late season older birds using Prairie Game Calls Jake Pot. He nailed the jake sound on that one. It is a beautiful call to boot.

hunter22

Parks Gobbler Call

The Woodsman

Quote from: hunter22 on May 24, 2017, 06:05:57 PM
Parks Gobbler Call

I agree. John Eddleman also makes a great gobbler box call.

Denny

yelpy

I have a Parks Gobbler slate and a Larry Gresser Jake pot. If your interested in one or the other send me a pm. I don't use em.

callmakerman

Rohm gobbler slate ( if you can find one) Roger Parks gobbler call and or a Turpin style box call. All will make great jake or gobbler talk.

tha bugman

Get a good tube call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk