OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey games and weekend hunting only pains....

Started by arrow1, May 22, 2017, 06:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrow1

The properties I turkey hunt are anywhere from 2-4.5 hours away from home so often times I only get a chance to hunt weekends. Properties range from 100-300 acres so limited on how far I can chase the birds that roost there. Usually showing up cold with no scouting so it takes a day to find the birds and hopefully a chance to work one before wrapping up the hunt at noon here in NY.  The first weekend of season I set up 75 yards above the roosted gobbler figure all set but I neglect to notice the 2 hens roosted above me.  Hens fly down behind me and the gobbler follows. No opportunity. And the hens dragged him off the property. This past weekend 2 gobblers roosted in same pines 3/4 of the way up the mountain and they leave the roost and sail down the mountain over the treetops a 1/4 mile to the neighbors field down below. Hens drag them towards another neighbors property.  I think next year I need to just stay a full week because weekend hunting and worrying about work is not getting the job done.  I don't want to rush my life but I look forward to retiring and chasing turkeys full time during season. It's purely intoxicating chasing turkey birds. Anyone else have similar dilemmas?

Happy hooker

Actually your somewhat blessed,,you get to hunt birds on weekends,,here in Minnesota we only get to hunt one time period not the whole season when we buy a license and the early time periods are by lottery draw. If weather is bad during your period your screwed,,givin the choice I'd rather hunt all weekends all season long.

KYFrid

Maybe you could take off a few extra days later in the season? Then you'd have less of a chance to contend with the hens on a limited time frame.

Here in KY I'll take the last couple of weeks over the beginning any day. 

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Happy

I suffered the same dilemma this year. I scheduled a week off and got 2.5 days of it before having to go back in.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

look at camping or renting a hotel room...it just depends on how bad you want to hunt...a turkey hunter always finds a way...remember a good turkey hunter always has plan A and B ...and sometimes a C....good luck...

1iagobblergetter

I didn't get as much time to hunt as I wanted either. This year hunting I almost felt guilty for hunting instead of working,but still had fun and decent luck anyway. I'm looking forward to the fall season. I'll take at least a few days here and there and get after them then.

Tail Feathers

I am fortunate to have four weeks vacation a year.  I use at least a week of it every spring for turkey hunting.  This year I used two weeks and still have four weeks worth left on the books for family vacation and other things that may come up.  Use the vacation time if you can.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

1iagobblergetter

Vacation(6wks when I left) and benefits are the only thing I miss with being self employed...People and politics not so much...Lol...it's all good I hunt them to the fullest when I can and when I can't I read and hear about friends and O.G. members hunts...

mspaci

I`m lucky, I can hunt before work 3 days a week & the weekends. I`m actually about worn out now. I made 14 mornings so far including the 2 in CT first week. 1 down in each state so far. Mike