OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best scope for turkey hunting?

Started by mnhunter2, May 20, 2017, 10:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnhunter2

Looking for the best scope for a turkey gun, price is no concern, just the best?

Number17

Burris Fastfire.
Everything you need and nothing you don't. It is perfect.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

davisd9

Simmons Pro-Diamond, no battery needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Nikon Turkey Pro , if you can find one , they don't make it anymore...look to pay anywhere from 200-400 dollars for one....look on ebay and such... next best thing is Simmons pro diamond ...for around 75 - 100 dollars... but if you want the best find a Nikon...it has a range finder built into the scope...the Simmons does also...  ones on ebay now 399.95 or best offer

1iagobblergetter

I agree with the Nikon Turkey Pro...otherwise I'd buy a Leupold 1x4 with the turkey reticle. I use one on my slug gun for deer hunting minus the turkey reticle.

Greg Massey

The odds of you posting this now and one being on ebay is like one in a 1000...lol... Nikon...

J-Shaped

Best is a relative term, but if you're talking about an actual scope, not a reflex/red dot sight, I'd suggest trying to find an older Pentax Lightseeker 2.5X with the deep woods plex reticle on eBay. Fixed power, great reticle for turkey and tough as nails. Unfortunately you'd have to find one used, as they are discontinued. I've shot them off and on for the better part of the last twenty years with good success, and have had one on a particular 3.5" 12ga for a long time, that has received a lot of hard use.

I've got buddies who have had great success with the older Nikon Turkey Scopes and the Leupolds, and would not hesitate for a second to run either of those.

I'm in the minority here in that personal experience and that of friends has not lead me to trust the Burris Fastfire. Coincidence, maybe, but this is based on a sample size greater than one.

My Dad has surprisingly used an inexpensive Simmons turkey scope for many years with zero issues, as have others on this site.

Regardless of what you end up with, invest in a solid mounting system. Turkey guns can be hard on optics and the mounts that support them.

eddie234

I have the true glo scope on one of my 1300's and have no complaints. Don't have to worry about batteries or making sure the thing is turned on or too bright. Grab and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Happy

The only thing that has worried me about a scope is the dreaded "scope eye". I stick to a dot scope for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MK M GOBL

The Nikon would be a great scope... just hard to find.

I have been using  Bushnell Trophy Turkey Scope for better than 20 years without an issue, and they still make them.

MK M GOBL

Number17

Quote from: eddie234 on May 21, 2017, 01:18:16 PM
I have the true glo scope on one of my 1300's and have no complaints. Don't have to worry about batteries or making sure the thing is turned on or too bright. Grab and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I proved to myself by accident that you can leave the Fast Fire on for an entire year and it will still get you through the following season. All year long in the gun cabinet, and that batteries still had juice left.
They also self adjust for brightness according to ambient light. Swing from a dark hemlock forest to a bright skyline and it adjusts instantaneously.
I've also practiced shooting target loads without the dot turned on. Just center up what you're shooting at in the glass and let it rip. I can blow up beer cans all day long like that.
I used a Simmons 2x turkey scope for years without incident, but the acquisition red dots are superior to tube scopes IMO.

I can't imagine how somebody could not like them. They also have a lifetime unconditional transferable warranty if a problem ever does arise. And no scope eye!
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Twowithone

Simmons Pro Diamond. Its been on my Turkey gun a long time and still holds Poa after 15+ yrs. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

chatterbox

Natty Bumpo

Leupold Turkey Ranger. M8-2.5X fixed. Small, light, bright and darn near bullet proof. Turkey reticule to confirm yardage too.  Large FOV and loooong eye relief.

I use Leupold scopes on all my rifles, never had one fail.

Old Gobbler

I have a burris m-tac on my gun,

My vision is real bad , and this scopes optics are so clear !
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon