News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got myself a weird turkey...

Started by Bigeclipse, May 15, 2017, 09:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

All,
I wish I took more pictures but I only got the one. I am not the greatest at sexing a bird and was hoping you could help. Unfortunately the bird I shot (the head was hit hard so was all bloody and not much left to see) so that was out for identifying. It had a FULL gobbler type fan (not jake with the longer center feathers). It had NO spurs or even spur bumps.  It had about a 5inch, thin, beard. Here is the kicker it was a VERY small and light weight bird. Definitely hen weight.  Maybe 10-12lbs... and gobblers where I am are typically in the 20lb range. So im thinking maybe a bearded hen but the fan looks more like a male to me but I have no idea really and if a male why no spurs and so light weight? again im very new to turkey hunting. Thanks!

eorlando

Looks like a bearded hen to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bpsmag1026

The brown tipped breast feathers give it away, bearded hen.

TauntoHawk

You mention full fan, did it strut?

Not that a hen can't strut its not common. it certainly looks like hen plumage
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bigeclipse

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 15, 2017, 09:39:52 AM

yes and no...it didn't puff up fully but it did fan it's tail...our law is simply must have a beard.  Turkey hunting is pretty hard in my area (not a lot of land to hunt) so I take what I can get. As soon as I saw beard I fired without hesitation to determine sex, size, spurs etc.  How rare are bearded hens?

tha bugman

Gobble!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

idratherb

hobbes

Definitely a bearded hen.  Brown feather tips give it away as stated above.  Adult hens have a "full" fan but it's quite a bit smaller than a tom.  Toms can be found with no spurs but the feather tips will be black and will be a lot more 'shiny'.   I suspect the head would be a giveaway if we could see it. The weight is also a giveaway. 

As far as strutting....I had a Merriam's hen strutting at 20 yards last season that was frustrated she couldn't find the hen yelping at her. 

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Bigeclipse on May 15, 2017, 09:44:24 AM

yes and no...it didn't puff up fully but it did fan it's tail...our law is simply must have a beard.  Turkey hunting is pretty hard in my area (not a lot of land to hunt) so I take what I can get. As soon as I saw beard I fired without hesitation to determine sex, size, spurs etc.  How rare are bearded hens?

bearded hens are a genetic trait so some area with the gene it will be much more prominent than other areas that might have very few. I've seen figures range from 1 in 5 to 1 in 20 but not sure if I've ever seen concrete scientific number and that would still very from where the study was done. I would say its uncommon but not rare the same way I would term a gobbler with more than one beard. 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bigeclipse

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 15, 2017, 10:00:49 AM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on May 15, 2017, 09:44:24 AM

bearded hens are a genetic trait so some area with the gene it will be much more prominent than other areas that might have very few. I've seen figures range from 1 in 5 to 1 in 20 but not sure if I've ever seen concrete scientific number and that would still very from where the study was done. I would say its uncommon but not rare the same way I would term a gobbler with more than one beard.

thanks! I have been hunting turkeys for 3 years now.  Have got 2 toms in the springs, 2 hens in the falls, and now this bearded hen (kind of cool)

Forked lighting

I,ve seen hens stutt only bearded hen i ever killed stutted when she came in last day of season an vegetation was thick wouldnt have killed her if I had seen her better but wasnt a problem our law states bearded bird so she was legal

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Approx 10% of hens have a beard. You can id your Fall birds the same way. Look at the breast feathers to determine sex because young jakes will be in Fall flocks. Congrats on a good trophy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy