OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wife's New Turkey Gun--Gunsmith?--PIX

Started by gatrapper, May 14, 2017, 11:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Ozarks Hillbilly

What shell are you planning on shooting and what type area are you hunting mostly fields or heavy timber?

TauntoHawk

shooting 3.5's and never complaining, your Raider fans are tough  :z-guntootsmiley:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

gatrapper

We hunt a lot of fields and open timber. All of our shots this year ranged from 40-60 yards.

Ozarks Hillbilly

IC .665 in a Remington is about like drano or a posi track in a Pontiac it just works. But if your shots are consistently 40 yards you might want to try something a little tighter .655 - .660 range. That 23" barrel will more than likely want a little tighter choke than say a 26" barrel.  If your going to send the gun to someone like Sumtoy they should have a few question as far as what your looking for from the gun. Let them know that your shots average 40 yards they can take it from there.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

.650 sumtoy or a .660 rhino.

Nothing else I'd ever screw into an 870 Barrel if you're shooting hevi 13 6s or 7s.

Additionally, if you're shooting that many birds at those ranges you'll definitely want to be shooting Hevi13, Fed heavyweight or TSS.

turkeyfeathers

I have the 1187 SPT supermag with a Rhino .660. It's the cats pajamas with 3.5" heavyweight 7's. It's too stupid crazy tight with 3.5" XR 5's that I won't even chamber them while hunting .A grapefruit sized hole in the shoot n see at 35 yards  But if you're looking to reach out a little more it may be what you're looking for.
Congrats on your wifes official turkey gun.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

Congrats on her success and her new shotgun!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mgm1955

gatrapper

Planning on bringing it down to Sumtoy. I replaced the trigger spring with one from MCARBO. It reduced the trigger pull poundage, but there is still a lot of creep in the trigger. Is there a way to fix that?

Ozarks Hillbilly

Timney trigger fix should do the trick.

taylorjones20

Send it to Rob Roberts. Excellent work and customer service.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gobble!

https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/timney-remington-870-trigger-fix-replacement-trigger.aspx

One of the best mods I did to my 870. GREATLY reduced that trigger creep.

I use a Indian Creek choke, outstanding customer service and great patterns are the reason I have stuck with them. I used a .665 when I was shooting Hevi13 shells. With the 3.5" #7s my best pattern was 324 inside a 10" circle at 40 yards. Loading 2.5oz of TSS now and I'm using a .675, 500 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

I do not know how much it costs to have the forcing cone lengthened but I'd save that money and use it to buy some TSS for the yardages you mentioned. You can load your own or purchase them from Apex Ammunition.