turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using a turkey fan

Started by High plains drifter, May 11, 2017, 08:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THattaway

For 99.9% of turkey hunters there is a point where any method short of illegal is perfectly acceptable to use to kill a particularly difficult tom. The other .01% don't mind if it's illegal.

:newmascot:
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

THattaway

And I'm a guy who said reaping didn't strike me as sporting while I was posting pics jake dekes I was repainting at the time (bought on sale really cheap). Another member got all skirt blown and panty wadded up over incorrectly perceived hypocrisy, was outspoken about it. Haven't sat with a gun over a jake deke yet but might one of these days. Fact is, I can kill them without dekes or fans and a lot of other stuff. I guess that's what really matters to me.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

GobbleNut

Quote from: THattaway on May 17, 2017, 03:41:12 PM
For 99.9% of turkey hunters there is a point where any method short of illegal is perfectly acceptable to use to kill a particularly difficult tom. The other .01% don't mind if it's illegal.

;D :toothy12: :TooFunny:   Don't know if the percentages are right on the money, but your point is duly noted....

davisd9

Quote from: THattaway on May 17, 2017, 03:41:12 PM

A very truthful post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ihuntoldschool

Thats a load of crap.  Got plenty of old school hunters who wouldn't think of resorting to visual aids/blinds/food plots/feeders to kill a gobbler. They don't need to violate the law and they don't need a crutch to rely on. They don't compromise and they don't justify the use of an unsporting method by the fact it was legal. The truth of the matter is they don't need them and they wouldn't want them.  Any gobbler is capable of being killed with just a call and a gun at any given time.

spaightlabs

Well hell - why not just hurl a rock at 'em then Judgey Judgerson? :smiley-char092:

I think the point of the post you were attacking is that at some point in our turkey hunting journey many of us have been at a spot where we would do anything within legal limits to kill a bird. 

Once some experience is gained and a hunter gets out of his turkey killer phase, that changes and hunts begin to exercise discretion in how they choose the terms of their hunt.

GobbleNut

Methinks someone has lived too long on Fantasy Island.... :toothy9: ;D

High plains drifter

I want to entice some birds off another guys property. I think sticking a fan in the brush might help.I think they are a herd of gobblers, probably older birds.I think maybe I over called last time, but they were headed somewhere, and not where I was.They like to go to these big open meadows, and strut, and fight.I know I can't get on that land, but I might be able to bring them to the fence.

fallhnt

Tools

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

spaightlabs

Quote from: High plains drifter on May 18, 2017, 01:22:24 AM
I want to entice some birds off another guys property. I think sticking a fan in the brush might help.I think they are a herd of gobblers, probably older birds.I think maybe I over called last time, but they were headed somewhere, and not where I was.They like to go to these big open meadows, and strut, and fight.I know I can't get on that land, but I might be able to bring them to the fence.

I think if you stick that fan up in the air and move it around, slow, like a turkey in strut, you might make them move.  One of 3 things will happen.  They will run at you, they will ignore you, they will run away.

GobbleNut

It will very likely work.  Been there,...done that.  I am not a big advocate of fanning, and I certainly think reaping is pushing it too far, but there are times and circumstances where the "judicious" use of a fan can give one a certain sense of satisfaction by incorporating it into your hunting arsenal. 

We used to hunt a place in Oklahoma that the adjacent property owner would not allow hunting.  A big group of birds roosted about 100 yards inside his property boundary.  He intentionally started feeding the birds in a place so he could draw the birds away from the property line.  We could not pull those birds out of their roost-to-feeder pattern no matter what we tried. 

This was right when the word about using a fan was just starting to spread around the country, so we decided to try it on those birds.  The results were amazing.  Those turkeys would come on a bee-line to us when they would see the fan, with the gobblers often walking up to within feet of us. 

Now, the fence on the property line at that time was an old, broken-down, barbed-wire fence that the turkeys could easily cross over.  They would come right across the fence onto our side.  Suffice it to say that a few of them ended up as turkey nuggets.

That is not the end of the story, however.  The property owner actually saw one of my hunting buddies pull a gobbler off of his property with the fan one day.  So what did he do?  He replaced the broken-down barbed wire fence with a new, tightly-strung fence that the turkeys could not get through so easily.

After that, the gobblers would still come, but since they had no easy way to get across, they would walk up and down the fence-line trying to get through to our side.  I remember one time when we had two big gobblers walk up and down the fence-line for fifteen minutes within ten yards of us trying to get through the fence.  They would poke their heads through the fence, get their bodies hung up in the wire, and pull back to the other side. 

We quit hunting there shortly thereafter, and I suppose that property owner ended up getting the last laugh, but for a while, it was pretty satisfying to figure out a way to get those gobblers off of his place,....even by having to resort to using a fan to do it.   ;D :toothy12:

High plains drifter

This guy has a good fence, and I've never seen anybody hunt back there. These birds roost on this place, then come down to the place I can hunt, at times. This guy has some sheep, and goats, and they like to root around in the barnyard.The dog, is very wary, and has busted me several times.There is a creek that they go to that's on my guys place, because this other place doesn't have water on it. I think I might build a blind this summer out there, at this funnel point, where I've seen tracks heading to water, or I might walk the fence line for miles, to scout.Anyway, there are only 3 days left, and it's a challenge to get a gobbler at this place.Ive gotten a few young birds here, but I still have not gotten a gobbler.One time I saw a 30 lb. bird rooting around with a goat.

spaightlabs

Quote from: High plains drifter on May 19, 2017, 11:07:55 AM
This guy has a good fence, and I've never seen anybody hunt back there. These birds roost on this place, then come down to the place I can hunt, at times. This guy has some sheep, and goats, and they like to root around in the barnyard.The dog, is very wary, and has busted me several times.There is a creek that they go to that's on my guys place, because this other place doesn't have water on it. I think I might build a blind this summer out there, at this funnel point, where I've seen tracks heading to water, or I might walk the fence line for miles, to scout.Anyway, there are only 3 days left, and it's a challenge to get a gobbler at this place.Ive gotten a few young birds here, but I still have not gotten a gobbler.One time I saw a 30 lb. bird rooting around with a goat.

you sure he wasn't 40?