OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

MO. turkey numbers

Started by fallhnt, May 10, 2017, 11:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

Looks like MO. numbers are down about 5000. Lots of rain may have kept hunters          out of the woods or from getting to a spot anyway. There were also two nonfatal shootings reported. Hunter shot another hunter and one self inflicted. That has to be the biggest head scratcher to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

HookedonHooks

Number of birds were down from flooding nests out right after season last year, and number of hunters were down this year due to weather and flooding contributing to the low harvest. With the early spring we had, I'm sure this ruined many more nests this year. I'd bet next spring will be even worse. Possibly even with 3 full weeks of good weather. Which never happens in a Missouri turkey season.

Bolandstrutters

We had a great season in MO.  6 for 6 on my farm.  It wasn't easy, but we found the birds.  The lack of jakes has be concerned though.  Could be tough for a few years.  I think those numbers would have been right on par with last year if not for the record flooding we had in parts of the state.  If i would have been in town, I literally would have not been able to get to my hunting spots.  Hopefully it stays dry and the hens can renest. 

SKFOOTER

Gobbling birds were practically non-existent in SE Missouri where we hunted the 2nd week of the season.  And I was told the 3rd week wasn't any better.  Worst Missouri season ever for me and I've been hunting there 25 years.

stinkpickle

It was definitely that monsoon.  I hear youth season and the first two weeks of the regular season weren't far behind last year's totals for the same time periods...BUT that soggy third week...   Yuck.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 11, 2017, 10:23:59 AM
It was definitely that monsoon.  I hear youth season and the first two weeks of the regular season weren't far behind last year's totals for the same time periods...BUT that soggy third week...   Yuck.

All the rain came late second week and completely rained out the second weekend until Tuesday morning of the third week. That morning was beautiful if you were in an area not flooded. Then by the time the third weekend, and final days of season, rolled around all the floods crested and put even more spots underwater. Another reason I believe Missouri's season should be four weeks long.... The numbers Missouri has they honestly should be, there's states with less birds that are open over twice as long.

Hooksfan

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 11, 2017, 11:15:04 AM

All the rain came late second week and completely rained out the second weekend until Tuesday morning of the third week. That morning was beautiful if you were in an area not flooded. Then by the time the third weekend, and final days of season, rolled around all the floods crested and put even more spots underwater. Another reason I believe Missouri's season should be four weeks long.... The numbers Missouri has they honestly should be, there's states with less birds that are open over twice as long.

I don't disagree in the least with you, but you will never see a four week season in Missouri, IMO.
There will be a big change coming for the 2018 season that is going to be controversial for some.  If you want to win some money on a bet, bet on all day turkey hunting in Missouri in 2018. A lot of those rainy mornings in Missouri where I am located were followed up by pretty evenings, but the honest folks couldn't hunt.

HookedonHooks

I would love for them to open the season up to all day in MO.... I understand the reasoning behind it, but a short season and half days makes it actually pretty tough some years. All day would be way cooler than an extra week, and I wouldn't complain.

Rzrbac

I would be happy with a 3 week season but all day hunts.  I've only hunted later afternoons a few times when I took my son during youth season.

I think MO should consider their turkey numbers by region and apply limits as applicable. I can only speak for the areas I hunt but the numbers have fallen in the last 10 years.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Hooksfan on May 11, 2017, 01:50:46 PM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 11, 2017, 11:15:04 AM

I don't disagree in the least with you, but you will never see a four week season in Missouri, IMO.
There will be a big change coming for the 2018 season that is going to be controversial for some.  If you want to win some money on a bet, bet on all day turkey hunting in Missouri in 2018. A lot of those rainy mornings in Missouri where I am located were followed up by pretty evenings, but the honest folks couldn't hunt.

I'm all for that.  I've had to sneak out on several hot birds at 1PM over the last few years.

fallhnt

Here comes another "decoy" type  thread. Lol. Lots of all day hunting hours in MO haters on here. I started a thread a couple years ago after I got a survey. For the record,I'm all in. Iowa has been all day hunting as long as I can remember. I also call BS on the hunters bump hens off the nest idea. Hunters arn't the only people in the woods in the spring.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

stinkpickle

Quote from: fallhnt on May 11, 2017, 08:01:56 PM
Here comes another "decoy" type  thread. Lol. Lots of all day hunting hours in MO haters on here. I started a thread a couple years ago after I got a survey. For the record,I'm all in. Iowa has been all day hunting as long as I can remember. I also call BS on the hunters bump hens off the nest idea. Hunters arn't the only people in the woods in the spring.

Exactly.  The mushroom hunters stomp around more than turkey hunters.  Plus, afternoon hunting gives kids a chance to hunt after school.

Buford

Let me begin by saying that I've thought like many of you a lot of times during my fifty years of turkey hunting. I've taken the survey they often send hunter to ask what they think of the current regulations. I don't give them all A 's on their report card. But I do agree with them when they say they want to provide a quality hunt for the hunter. No gobbling is not a quality hunt. Some of the boys down in the southern states complain about not hearing anything for days. Poor hatches, lots of rain and way to much poaching before and after season don't leave much for a good hunt. I would not change 1.00 quit time or the three week season. I live in s.e Missouri and you wouldn't believe the amount of hunting land and timber that's forever gone. To many hunters in a small area. I'll keep things as they are now. Turkey's were never this hard to hunt. More time to hunt every day or longer seasons ain't  going to cure anything. This idea of I got to fill two tags every year is about gone. Sorry boys but I couldn't agree with your ideas.      Buford

Hooksfan

Buford,
I respect anyone who has chased these birds for 50 years.
I assume you hunted in Missouri and remember the golden days of the 80s.
I also have no doubt you are seeing fewer birds than in days past. The harvest numbers for southeast Mo reflect what you say.
However; there is no evidence that hunting has played any role in the lower numbers and no evidence liberalization of hunting season will have negative impacts on populations.  You identified the main reason....loss of habitat and very poor nesting conditions.
I guess where I stand now is that if the most conservative regulations aren't going to protect against the factors that really determine production, and if going more liberal isn't going to be harmful, I see no point in not offering greater opportunities to hunt.
If things get too bad, drive across the state
We had more birds than I have ever seen here in Southwest Mo this year.

Prohunter3509

Burford I am so with you
Anybody that thinks longer hunting hrs. More pressure is gonna benefit the turkeys need to rethink the situation.
I am from out of state were you can hunt all day and you can't hardly ever hear a p.m. turkey gobble way to much pressure and if mo. Starts it I promise the same for yall. Yall have a great thing going with your turkeys don't let the politicians and biologist take it from you. And from people I talked to from missouri that's who is pushing it.  Rant complete