turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WV Gobbling

Started by rifleman, May 08, 2017, 12:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

Are any of you other WV guys hearing any gobbling?  I may hear one gobble once and that is it and usually they are far off, i go for him and can't find.  Heard none yesterday and one this AM at just about 6:00, barely heard with Howard Leight hearing aids on.

Happy

Just worked a tom for three hours this morning to get him at 40 yards and no clear shot. Gobbled well but after he shut down I didn't hear a bird. The wind has picked up considerably. Hoping the improving weather will help. Was 32 degrees this morn in the mountains

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

PEHunter

I've been hunting in McDowell county and it's about the same.  Most of the ones I'm rearing are only gobbling a few times before they shut down.  I'm also not hearing as many birds as I typically do in the area I hunt.

rblake

Average gobbling. Once on the ground one - two more gobbles then shut off.  Got to get back into their bubble before responding back to my calls. Many still with hens.
Mountaineer by birth and choice. Grand Slam 2013

West Augusta

I found 2 that gobbled fairly well all the way in but other than them it's been quiet.
Jackson  county
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

eddie234

I went Sunday and yesterday and didn't hear a think. Called in a group of five jakes Sunday here in Marshall Co. they came in silent and all I heard were a couple clucks. I had to wait till the last day last year to get one so I'm hoping it doesn't rain too hard this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rblake

I spoke too soon. Covered 8 miles, mostly ridge top, in Stonewall Jackson WMA today and did not hear a thing. Did not even get a hen to respond.
Mountaineer by birth and choice. Grand Slam 2013

eddie234

I went back out this morning and again didn't hear a thing. I'll get back out Saturday, supposed to rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sswv

my 2 birds this year were very impressive but very hard earned. #2 was called in with a gobble call. I never made a hen sound when he gobbled just gobbled at him and it drove him crazy. a super fun hunt and my first with a 20ga. the birds have been different this year and about every gobbler had at least one buddy with him. this week is pretty nasty so I feel blessed with 2 tags filled.

good huntin' all

Jeffwhitecustomcalls

Can't seem to get one to the gun but the ones I've called into sight have been two or more. One occasion there was six. Tough year for sure.

rifleman

Went out this morning here in Berkeley Co. but couldn't hunt long.  Nothing at all gobbled.  Walking out I flushed 2 birds which i think were jakes.  About 300 yds. further I saw a big bird fly off.  I was probably leaving around 8 o'clock.  My brother also heard nothing in Hardy Co. 

wvmntnhick

I've been hearing several but they've been real quiet when off the roost. Has made things hard lately. One bird in particular has made things exceptionally hard but I got a good one earlier that i'm happy with so it doesn't matter. having said that, I've been playing with a few birds that I'm starting to wonder if they aren't tame yard birds. sounds like they move every day but not far and I sure can't get them to break close enough to get them shot. I'm about 35% sure they're tame but I'm 100% certain I'll shoot it if it comes by.  :TooFunny:

Just kidding. They're not tame but they do like hanging closer to the houses than I'd like.

longbeard11

The weather the last week and a half has them messed up bad! Very little gobbling.

Hunted roane county yesterday on a phenomenal farm full of birds. Zero gobbling on the roost. Prospected a couple hours after fly down hoping to find a hot one and called in 5 lone hens at 5 different setups! Crazy!! They were responding well, just no gobblers in tow. Did strike a gobbler at 9 o'clock and worked him till 10:30, he gobbled pretty good but not crazy hot. Would never break from his strut zone and eventually shut up and faded off.

Went back to one of my great Kanawha County farms today, nothing. Weather has made this season very tough for sure, add to that the crazy amount of hens.

I was able to tag one great gobbler the second week and I've called 14 longbeards to within 40 yards and we have toted 4 of those out. Can't complain, just wish weather would have cooperated these last two weeks.