OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Son's First Turkey!!!

Started by coonhunter, May 08, 2017, 11:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhunter

Well It took the entire season but he finally got one on the last day!  We set up early in field we had seen birds earlier in the year.  Well nothing!  At 6:20 we heard a bird gobble sounded like he was 1/2 a mile away!  So we just set tight and called a few times. Then he gobbled again,  Sounded closer.  I called and nothing??  A minute went by and he gobbled at around 300-400 yards out in the field but we could not see him due to us setting back in the woods 10 yards or so.  I told my son that when he gets closer we will get ready, well I called and no gobble??  Then pppttt virrrrrrmmm!!  I told my son to get his gun up and here he came running to the dekes!  He ran up to the jake and jumped on it knocking it over and started stomping him and pecking its head!!  My son shot and the turkey jumps and runs off???  What the heck??  So we went through the heartbreak of another miss!!!  So i went out and decided to walk over toward the direction he ran and there he laid 30 yards away!!!!!  He had his head down pecking that jake and my son shot high and hit him thru the back.  I'm convinced that the HW #7 played a huge part in killing this bird!  Penetration thru all the way to the breast on the under side!!  Anyway we got him!  One proud Daddy right here!!  Never had a bird cover so much ground so fast!!  10 1/2" beard 1 1/8" spurs!
Joshua 24:15

skimerhorn

Way to go that's awesome! I can't wait to experience that with my son

hobbes

Congrats to you and your son.  Great job on a last day bird.

chadly

Bowguy

rifleman

He is now officially hooked Dad.

Greg Massey

nice bird, great job young man....congrats

Chris O

I love seeing the little guys and gals get one, good job

blake_08

Awesome. Great job to dad and the young man. How old is he?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

J-Shaped

Congrats to you both on an experience neither of you will forgot. Those pics are great too.

coonhunter

Quote from: blake_08 on May 08, 2017, 01:26:40 PM

7 years old!
Joshua 24:15

kyturkeyhunter4

Gooserbat

Congratulations young man.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bowhunter123224

Congrats! I can't wait to take my son out when he's old enough!!

blake_08

Quote from: coonhunter on May 08, 2017, 01:54:51 PM
Quote from: blake_08 on May 08, 2017, 01:26:40 PM

7 years old!
Awesome! My oldest son is 5. He can't wait to go and kill a turkey but he's a little small still. I can't wait to take him.