turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strutting Hens???

Started by Steamin, April 12, 2011, 10:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamin

Seen it for the first time this morning.
How often and why did she do this?

Her and another hen were about 5 yds in front of us this morning vocalizing for 10-15 mins. Awesome to say the least and I wish we would of had a camera to record all of the sounds.

My cousin was calling and they were eating it up, then out of the blue the smaller of the two hens fans out and starts strutting.
Neither of us had ever seen that before in the wild or on a dvd/tape.
Just lookin for a little info.

Thanks
Steamin

sugarray

I don't know what makes hens do that, but TRKYHTR has 2 videos of hunts with 2 different strutting hens.

TauntoHawk

I've also observer it, always seems to be a vocal hen that is trying to astablish dominance over the intruding hen.

Really something awesome to see
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ruger M77

I've seen it twice both were hens I called up in the fall one of them also gobbled about 10 times sounded pretty funny.Both were hens with broods I thought mabe that had somthing to do with it
I eat therefore I hunt

hookedspur

Quote from: Ruger M77 on April 12, 2011, 05:16:34 PM
I've seen it twice both were hens I called up in the fall one of them also gobbled about 10 times sounded pretty funny.Both were hens with broods I thought mabe that had somthing to do with it
:agreed: I have seen them Gobble as well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drum817

I saw a strutting hen this morning.  I was checking out a gobbler through my binos and caught another bird strutting and for a second thought another gobbler had slipped into the field....it was one of the two hens he had with him and she had started fanning out and strutting.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Trevor2

I seen it for the second time today as well....
Strutstopper

Struttin Spurs

I too have heard one gobble. Worst sounding bird I have ever heard. Thought it was a jake with a twig stuck in his throat til I saw the old gal. Pretty weird.

furtracker

Never heard a hen gobble that I know of but seen them strut in the fall.

bowhunter84

Quote from: furtracker on April 12, 2011, 11:06:06 PM
Never heard a hen gobble that I know of but seen them strut in the fall.
same here