OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When is Enough Enough?

Started by Spurs Up, May 05, 2017, 08:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

All i'm going to add to this post is over 75 percent of you on this forum don't know what old school turkey hunting is this day and time... If you carry anything that new like shotguns, shells, calls and camo in no way are you old school... back in my first days of hunting we had no camo, guns with chokes, calls or a turkey vest..almost all our hunting equipment was either hand-me -downs and a old single barrel shotgun that belong to either your grand parents or you dad we made our turkey calls...we didn't have these nice coveralls and insulated boots.... So for some of you to say i hunt turkeys old school give this old man a break--- you don't know what old school WAS...i sure enjoy this new turkey hunting items and equipment a lot better than the old days that's for sure....

stinkpickle

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 06, 2017, 10:58:11 PM
All i'm going to add to this post is over 75 percent of you on this forum don't know what old school turkey hunting is this day and time... If you carry anything that new like shotguns , calls and camo in no way are you old school... back in my first days of hunting we had no camo, guns with chokes, calls or a turkey vest..almost all our hunting equipment was either hand-me -downs and a old single barrel shotgun that belong to either your grand parents or you dad...we didn't have these nice coveralls and insulated boots.... So for some of you to say i hunt turkeys old school give this old man a break--- you don't know what old school WAS...i sure enjoy this new turkey hunting items and equipment a lot better than the old days that's for sure....

True.  And most places didn't have any turkeys to hunt, anyway.

Greg Massey

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 06, 2017, 11:06:03 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 06, 2017, 10:58:11 PM
All i'm going to add to this post is over 75 percent of you on this forum don't know what old school turkey hunting is this day and time... If you carry anything that new like shotguns , calls and camo in no way are you old school... back in my first days of hunting we had no camo, guns with chokes, calls or a turkey vest..almost all our hunting equipment was either hand-me -downs and a old single barrel shotgun that belong to either your grand parents or you dad...we didn't have these nice coveralls and insulated boots.... So for some of you to say i hunt turkeys old school give this old man a break--- you don't know what old school WAS...i sure enjoy this new turkey hunting items and equipment a lot better than the old days that's for sure....

True.  And most places didn't have any turkeys to hunt, anyway.
x2 ...no they didn't...you were lucky to hear one gobbler a season and see a single hen....

greencop01

I'm 64 and the older I get the more I hunt with this saying, "Keep It Simple Stupid".
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

fallhnt

I still have "Be Safe" stickers and had to go out of state to hunt my first Spring turkey season. Come to think of it,I killed my 1st gobbler on the second day of my hunt without decoys. I must have been a "real hunter" back then. I'm not worthy now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bowguy

What I don't get is the way guys view things. I'm personally on board w ya. Gotta keep the hunt in the hunt n technology isn't doing that. My prob is take the baiting, I find it unsportsmanlike as well as many for deer, waterfowl. Why is it ok for deer in many eyes?
The cameras means no need to scout by being there. Absolutely absurd n imo who's actually not want to be there preseason to hear the first gobbles, see new flocks of greenheads arriving, see the deer entering an alfalfa field before the season. Guess I'm old school but hunting for me involved personal involvement n effort n that effort doesn't involve carrying cameras n bait.
Some of the new loads n chokes I have no prob w as long as people don't assume they're supernatural n feel the need to test the limits. Sport hunting is about making your hunt sporting

eggshell

Wasn't this thread started about what you thought of different hunting aides and not a debate of who's doing it "oldschool" or what is honorable turkey hunting. The fact is it's all personal preference and the greatest thing about turkey hunting is chasing and outsmarting turkeys, that's it! why does it matter How I do it and how some other person does it, if both are legal, safe and enjoying their hunt yeah for both. Every generation has it old schoolers, it's called time and time passes and things change. Not all old school is good. It was the old schooler's who hunted game to near extirpation with market hunting, baiting, punt guns and total disregard for the resource. So before we puff ourselves up over how we hunt let's give thanks that we have a well managed resource to enjoy. To the Indians the pioneers were the new crazy guys that were breaking the old school rules and so on through time. Things change. So go hunting and enjoy the privilege.  I personally do not use all the new toys, but I enjoy the better clothing, new guns and calls. Yes I hunted when season was three days long (started in 1971)  and you only heard one bird a season, but I like it a whole lot better now with all the opportunity we have today. I vote to never go back to the days of "oldschool".

Bowguy

Quote from: eggshell on May 07, 2017, 08:49:10 AM
Wasn't this thread started about what you thought of different hunting aides and not a debate of who's doing it "oldschool" or what is honorable turkey hunting. The fact is it's all personal preference and the greatest thing about turkey hunting is chasing and outsmarting turkeys, that's it! why does it matter How I do it and how some other person does it, if both are legal, safe and enjoying their hunt yeah for both. Every generation has it old schoolers, it's called time and time passes and things change. Not all old school is good. It was the old schooler's who hunted game to near extirpation with market hunting, baiting, punt guns and total disregard for the resource. So before we puff ourselves up over how we hunt let's give thanks that we have a well managed resource to enjoy. To the Indians the pioneers were the new crazy guys that were breaking the old school rules and so on through time. Things change. So go hunting and enjoy the privilege.  I personally do not use all the new toys, but I enjoy the better clothing, new guns and calls. Yes I hunted when season was three days long (started in 1971)  and you only heard one bird a season, but I like it a whole lot better now with all the opportunity we have today. I vote to never go back to the days of "oldschool".
With all due respect I think you're mistaken as you're quoting maket hunting n not sport hunting. The sport hunters are the ones who asked for some regulation.
Now the old school thing is being taken by each persons personal experience n age. Greg may be more mature than some it seems n he spoke of old school differently than others including myself.
My take on this is keeping yourself in the hunt. If you take Gregs way of using non camo clothing which actually works, non turkey choked guns, so on n so on n applied this today by using the chokes n camo you're essentially hunting very similar if you're keeping your shots close.
Imo and it's only imo as soon as you add technology into the hunt in order to makes things easier or so you can hunt n not really need to be checking the happenings in the woods that this deviates.
And some of your points were spot on

blkpowder

For all those that like to use all the gadgets that the "LAWS" allow,more power to them. And this is just "MY" feelings and opinion. But my opinion is that they are missing out on what truly is turkey hunting. And that is,carrying on a conversation with a wild bird and calling it in to 30 yds or less,without the use of any other gadgets other than your calls. It took me three years to kill my first bird and I've killed one every year after that. No decoys,no blinds,no bushwhacking. Just my camo and my calls.  After my twelfth or so gobbler,I retired the shotgun for a bow or muzzle loader. My muzzle loader is a CVA percussion and the birds have to be even closer than when I used a bow. 23yds is the max range for this gun. Two years ago,I retired from hunting for myself. I now just take others out to show and teach what a great and exciting experience it is to carry on a conversation with a gobbler and to have him at 30 yds or less!

DTGobble

I guess I'm in the middle of the road on this one.  When I go into the woods, I USUALLY don't carry decoys.  I own several and will use them from time to time.  For me personally, they're about 50/50 in being effective, plus I don't like carrying them.  I do not use game cameras, electronic calls, or drones.  For the record, I'm not against cameras, I just don't see the need for them.  I prefer calling, but will on occasion, sneak around on one in a field.  Some don't like it, and that's fine, but I'd dare to say that its harder to do than calling one into shooting range.  I don't fan because I just choose not to.  I do like my thermocell, and if that's cheating, so be it.  As for blinds.  In the right situation, they're great.  Some use them all the time, just not for me.  I'd rather be sitting against a tree.  And this is where my problem with hunting in general starts.  When I started, I followed my dad everywhere chasing turkeys.  I learned most of what I know in those years, and they're lessons I'll never forget.  Not many teens hunted, as it was a poor boys sport.  Now it seems like everyone hunts.  Which isn't totally bad, but things have changed.  Land leased every where, and not a lot left over for every one else.  If I had thousands of acres to hunt all to myself, I'd tag out the first week.  Try hunting public land, or small tracts of private that everyone else can hunt to.  I see youtube videos all the time (local). Someone's rich dad owns half the county, never hunted, holding a gobbler.  Newest Under Armour, $1200 gun, etc.  Shooting a turkey out of a blind over $500 worth of decoys.  As stated before, I have nothing against decoys or blinds.  I use them myself from time to time.  But lets be honest, just about anyone can kill a turkey like that.  I've done it myself.  I just don't think it teaches turkey hunting.  It's fine to get the first bird that way, or to do if calling isn't an option, just not all the time. 

And technology. Hunting in general has gotten way to gadgety to for me.  I know I don't have to use everything they sell, but its getting pretty bad.  I was in Bass Pro yesterday.  My wife says hey, look at this, Scent Away hand sanitizer!  Really?  2 sided strutting decoys with different colored heads on both sides?  An umbrella sized fanning decoy?  I guess as long as people keep buying it they'll keep selling it. I think it all started with "forget the wind and just hunt".  That's just my opinions, and I know everyone won't agree.

Ihuntoldschool

Yes, thats my point.  Anyone can kill a turkey like that.  Thats not really turkey hunting, thats turkey killing.  And like you said, they will never really learn to turkey hunt.  JMO

Spurs Up

Quote from: eggshell on May 07, 2017, 08:49:10 AM
Wasn't this thread started about what you thought of different hunting aides and not a debate of who's doing it "oldschool" or what is honorable turkey hunting. "

Yes it was.  Sort of... 

I tried to moderate the discussion and re-direct when it quickly degenerated into the same ole personal preference, urinary contest. But, soon gave up.

I'll try again. Do you think some of the recently emerged technology and innovations have given any advantage to hunters? Good, bad or indifferent...  What else is likely to be developed and possibly adopted by turkey hunters?  Someone mentioned use of drones. How about other remote sensing technologies?  What if one day soon thermal imaging advances to the point that it can distinguish a gobbler from a goose and becomes affordable?  Would you use it?  Would you care if others used it?

Again, when is enough enough?  Will we one day soon have to draw the line?

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I use cameras year round at the club I'm in and a small private spot of land. For scouting and for poachers. I can't drive 140 miles everyday to look and listen. It helps me keep up with what's there. Whether it is yote's, hog's or  hat's trespassing. Mechanical calling and remote controlled decoys should not be allowed. Mechanical calling is illegal here. I know a guy that use's a (CALLING MACHINE). I would turn him in if I ever caught him in the woods with it. Drone's definitely should not be used.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Ihuntoldschool

Sir, I'm not sure what you mean by will be have to draw the line?   The majority of the guys on this forum will do anything legal to get that kill. It's all about the kill to them.  So, the state is the only ones who can regulate them.  They have no self regulation whatsoever.  From most of their attitudes, they would hunt over a pile of corn with 6 funky chickens and a B-Mobile  with a couple DSD hens using an electronic caller while they crawled behind a strutter with a real fan on him if it were legal.  After all, they just have to get that kill by any means necessary.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 07, 2017, 11:58:07 AM
...The majority of the guys on this forum will do anything legal to get that kill. It's all about the kill to them...After all, they just have to get that kill by any means necessary.

I know, right?  Shame on the majority of the guys on this forum!