turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When is Enough Enough?

Started by Spurs Up, May 05, 2017, 08:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

And Stink, you are one funny cat.  I getcha!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

appalachianassassin

I rely solely on calling. if I don't get the bird into range on my terms, I don't shoot. ive let alot of birds walk off over the years because of this. but, it forced me to learn calling strategy for all phases of the season. I think in the long run ive killed far more turkeys by learning to call them than I would have if I had shot every turkey that I had in range otherwise.

sps20

I started hunting turkey's 53 years ago. Other than a choke tube and new camo I still hunt them the same way.
If it is legal I have no problem with it. Just not for me.
Regards
Turk

LaLongbeard

Quote from: g8rvet on May 06, 2017, 04:02:01 PM
I think the point being missed by some, is that some of us do not have egos so large that we need to compare ourselves to other hunters.  We are not saying because we kill turkeys we are somehow better hunters, more old school, more deserving or more respectful of the game we are pursuing (like the game gives two flying ****s).  We hunt for our own reasons and for our own joy. 

Phillip said if I use a decoy, I am not as good a hunter as Joe Blow that does not.  Who cares?  I do not care what Joe Blow thinks of me and frankly, anyone that hunts for the sake of being better than other hunters is beneath my consideration. I have met lots of guys I consider better turkey hunters than me. They put in the effort and they get the reward.  The ones I respect don't need to tell me how good they are. One of those guys calls me for duck hunting advice, because I have hunted ducks longer than him. 

Maybe some folks have very little in their lives to be proud of and so it is all put on how good of a turkey hunter they are - not for themselves, but to belittle and judge others.  Have at it.  I have many hobbies and turkey hunting is one of them. I love it.  But I love it for me, not to brag to others.  The only people I show pictures of dead turkeys are my friends and family and most of them know that means they are going to be eating it. 

When they shovel dirt in my face, how I rank compared to other turkey hunters will not be important to anyone,  least of all me.
Its your right as an American to be mediocre enjoy lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

g8rvet

Quote from: Phillipshunt on May 06, 2017, 07:24:23 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on May 06, 2017, 04:02:01 PM
I think the point being missed by some, is that some of us do not have egos so large that we need to compare ourselves to other hunters.  We are not saying because we kill turkeys we are somehow better hunters, more old school, more deserving or more respectful of the game we are pursuing (like the game gives two flying ****s).  We hunt for our own reasons and for our own joy. 

Phillip said if I use a decoy, I am not as good a hunter as Joe Blow that does not.  Who cares?  I do not care what Joe Blow thinks of me and frankly, anyone that hunts for the sake of being better than other hunters is beneath my consideration. I have met lots of guys I consider better turkey hunters than me. They put in the effort and they get the reward.  The ones I respect don't need to tell me how good they are. One of those guys calls me for duck hunting advice, because I have hunted ducks longer than him. 

Maybe some folks have very little in their lives to be proud of and so it is all put on how good of a turkey hunter they are - not for themselves, but to belittle and judge others.  Have at it.  I have many hobbies and turkey hunting is one of them. I love it.  But I love it for me, not to brag to others.  The only people I show pictures of dead turkeys are my friends and family and most of them know that means they are going to be eating it. 

When they shovel dirt in my face, how I rank compared to other turkey hunters will not be important to anyone,  least of all me.
Its your right as an American to be mediocre enjoy lol.
The fact that you called me "mediocre" is exactly what my point was, which obviously sailed right over your mediocre intelligence.  Who the heck are you that you think you can decide because I use a decoy when I field hunt, I am a mediocre hunter?  No worries, as since I have no respect for you, your opinion of me is meaningless (not saying you are unworthy or respect, you may well be, but I don't know you).  I kill my share of birds in the woods too, sans decoy.  You know absolutely nothing about me.  And it is also your right to be a condescending d***.  (look it up, you probably do not know what it means).

Some of you are pure tools.  And I am not offended by someone that wants to hunt their way.  But if you want to tell me how to hunt, you can kiss my north end when I am headed south.

And about a 90% chance if I don't know you Warrent, I know who you run with.  But I use the same name on all the forums. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

allaboutshooting

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

eggshell

When I go to the woods I take two mouth calls, a slate, wear my camo (the new fangled kind) and a gun. I don't own a decoy, a blind, a trail cam, an atv, a feeder or anything else you may think of. I don't own any of this stuff because I'm too darn cheap to buy it and too lazy to carry it. I move a lot and don't like being slowed down with stuff. Yeah I'm old school and done this for 45 years. I am not a purest and don't have any desire to judge anyone else, I hunt the way I enjoy and am legal. If a gobbler makes a mistake and get in range of my gun he is dieing, period. If there is one thing I would draw a line on and call anyone out on, it is baiting. As a Christian man I will not say what my heart would like to say about anyone who baits turkeys. Everything else that is legal is personal choice, go and enjoy the great outdoors filled with lots of gobbling.

Ihuntoldschool

Yes, the article is appropriate to the subject and the content is spot on.  Having said that I am less than optimistic that it will change anyone's opinion.  The people that get it already get it and the ones that don't probably never will.  They do not have the same mentality.

g8rvet

Agree with that article.  Very good stuff.  The key difference is all in presentation of the material.  His points are valid and his argument well made.  Not much you can really argue with. 

LaLongbeard

[No apologizes needed. Piss on them. I enjoy offending those that I deem need offending. ;)
[/quote]
Could not agree more Piss on g8rvrt lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

g8rvet

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

wvmntnhick

I don't use trail cameras for turkeys but will certainly employ them for deer. I'd like to know what's in the area. If the big bucks aren't in the area yet, no sense in me going after them and stinking the place up before they want to get there. Drones are a "no fly" zone for me all together.

HTL, all for it. Don't care if it's fed HW's, Hevishot or TSS. Like it all. But then again, I'm not super picky about the gun in use either.

Decoys, I've got them. Don't use them as much these days but certainly plan to tomorrow. Motion decoys don't really get my blood pressure up but I won't own one. Have a strutter. Haven't used it but twice. Both times had negative effects.

There's enough crop around here that baiting would be fruitless. Why give birds food when they've got more than they could possibly eat already. Not saying I've never baited deer but I don't even do that anymore for the same reasons.

Having said all this, if someone else wants to, I don't particularly care. What's fine by one may not be for another and it's not my job to pass judgement.

crow

stinkpickle

:emoticon-cartoon-012:
Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 06, 2017, 08:07:59 PM
Is this appropriate to the subject? https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/communication

Thanks,
Clark

That's a good article, but haven't hunting accidents actually decreased since the good old days?  I can't find nationwide statistics specific to turkey hunting, but the counts in many states are lower, while the number of turkey hunters have increased.