OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Has the internet check in helped or hurt Tn turkey hunting?

Started by S.C.C, May 04, 2017, 11:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.C.C

Seem to me there are way to many Turkeys being killed in my neck of the woods sence we started being allowed to internet check......would be nice if they would cut us back for a few years to just 2 birds in spring and 1 in the fall imo.But I'm sure the insurance company's would complain about that and get it changed back.What do you guys and gals think?

Bill Cooksey

How has internet check-in caused more turkeys to be killed. I, for one, like it a lot. It was often brutal trying to check a turkey late in the season years ago. I once went to five different checking stations. Four were out of tags, and one was closed.

TauntoHawk

Guys that shoot more birds than they have tags for are going to do it regardless of tag reporting method I can't imagine anyone going from law abiding to heck its the internet i'll just shoot 30 of em
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Greg Massey

Agree, i don't see how the internet check-in , has done anything to cause more turkey's killed...It's great to have this internet-check-in...remember gas was almost 4 dollars a gallon at one time and running around trying to fix a check - in place open was almost impossible and if you found one most of the store people didn't know how to use the TWRA system...I have no problem cutting back to a 3 bird limit...4 this day and time is to many...and do away with the fall birds and being able to kill birds during bow season...

J-Shaped

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 04, 2017, 12:04:17 PM
How has internet check-in caused more turkeys to be killed. I, for one, like it a lot. It was often brutal trying to check a turkey late in the season years ago. I once went to five different checking stations. Four were out of tags, and one was closed.

This. It's made life easier for me as well. Check them in on your smart phone or home computer, or depending on the state, via phone - one (our several as in the case noted above) less stop(s) to make on the way home. And in TN, no more dealing with incompetent gas station clerks that know nothing about the process. Had a buddy who thought the store clerk didn't properly check his bird one time, so he went to another checking station to get the bird properly checked in. Turns out the first one went through the system and he got a visit from Mr. Green Jeans a couple of days later to explain why it appeared he'd taken two birds in the same day, which is illegal in TN. He was just trying to do the right thing. 

People who want to game the system are going to do it regardless of internet check-in or not. No sense punishing those of us who do it the right way.

S.C.C

How much oversight have you seen sence, asfar as checking licenses and hunters/birds and so on?Very seldom even see a wardin here in east to sence the internet check started!!

S.C.C

And imo would be nice to see more of mr green jeans again sence the tss and HTl is the big thing now!!

Greg Massey

Quote from: S.C.C on May 04, 2017, 12:39:59 PM
How much oversight have you seen sence, asfar as checking licenses and hunters/birds and so on?Very seldom even see a wardin here in east to sence the internet check started!!
If your hunting within the game law's and checking game and not poaching , why do you need to see a game officer...i don't see were people think they need to see game warden running all over the country or turkey woods....if you see someone baiting report it ...then let the officers take care of it...i think people worry way to much...

J-Shaped

Quote from: S.C.C on May 04, 2017, 12:45:32 PM
And imo would be nice to see more of mr green jeans again sence the tss and HTl is the big thing now!!

Can you elaborate on why more GW involvement is necessary due to HTL shot and TSS?

Greg Massey

Quote from: J-Shaped on May 04, 2017, 12:51:10 PM
Quote from: S.C.C on May 04, 2017, 12:45:32 PM

Can you elaborate on why more GW involvement is necessary due to HTL shot and TSS?
x2

Bill Cooksey

I see about the same level of warden activity I always have. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually been checked while in the field turkey hunting. Now, the last few years we had to physically check birds, I would often call the local warden to see if he was in the area and could meet to check mine.

Unless you've been reported, turkey hunting isn't a sport where the odds of running into a warden are high. They get enough calls about baiting and trespassing to keep them going most days. Also, most of them would rather not disturb a turkey or deer hunt unless they know there's a problem. You're actually probably more likely to run into a warden in the woods in the days leading up to the season. Those I'm close to spend a lot of time walking around looking for bait and other potential problems.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 04, 2017, 01:05:54 PM
I see about the same level of warden activity I always have. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually been checked while in the field turkey hunting. Now, the last few years we had to physically check birds, I would often call the local warden to see if he was in the area and could meet to check mine.

Unless you've been reported, turkey hunting isn't a sport where the odds of running into a warden are high. They get enough calls about baiting and trespassing to keep them going most days. Also, most of them would rather not disturb a turkey or deer hunt unless they know there's a problem. You're actually probably more likely to run into a warden in the woods in the days leading up to the season. Those I'm close to spend a lot of time walking around looking for bait and other potential problems.
agree

fallhnt

No manned check syation saves the state money but every state that has on line check in ,has the same concerns. I've always said "If your not going to report your kill on line you wouldn't drive to the check station eather". X3 on tss

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bill Cooksey

TN didn't man the check stations. You checked birds at retail locations where licenses were sold. You could also check them at certain government offices. For instance, I checked a few at the fire station in Bolivar.

SteelerFan

Can't speak for TN...

But "Tele-check" phone / internet systems have had no impact on the amount of illegally harvested game animals in states like Maryland or Pennsylvania.

It's been said - outlaws didn't drive to the mom & pop / brick and mortar check stations and then try to lie. They just went home. In fact, the computer database(s) has lead to more outlaws being caught trying to use a relative's license, checking game killed in zones they were not licensed for, exceeding bag limits, etc. than the shoe box full of check tags at the gas station.

It's a convenience for the legal sportsman. And a very much appreciated one.

As far as general compliance checks of hunters in the field - wardens don't like to stroll into your set up at 7:30 a.m. just to see a license. Most of them hunt too.