News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binoculars

Started by qbaker, May 02, 2017, 01:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbaker

Binoculars

So, I'm not only new to TH, but apparently to "binoculars" too -;) I understand the magnification: The first number refers the magnification of binocular. A "10×50" for example, magnifies the view by 10 times. Objects appear 10 times larger than they do without the binoculars. The second number refers to the objective size (diameter in millimeters).

Q: I've decided on a 8 x 25 pocket sized.  However, there is a great disparity in price from brand to brand online; as low as $39 up to as high as &79-200+.  I don't have much $ and don't want to over-invest in binoculars that I'm only using for "scouting" and my sons football games. Why the disparity in price from one pair of pocket-sized 8 x 25 to another? Is it brand, are there differences in quality? Will a $40 8 x 25 work just as well as a $200? besides special features such as HD, Camera's and things of the sort are there differences that matter for "my purposes"? I'd love to not have to spend more than $40-$50.

Thanks

dirt road ninja

Unfortunately, glass is one of those things that you will probably have to over pay for. I would figure out what I want to spend and find the highest rated pair in that range. With my rifle scopes I am a firm believer spending more on the optics than the rifle.

qbaker

I see. But isn't there some difference between purchasing a "scope" for hunting and often longer ranges a little different from a simple pair of binoculars for short-range scouting and an up-front ball game?

g8rvet

Look through them.  Check the features you want and find the best you can afford.  I have some 8x32 Nikons that I bought a long time ago.  I use them for turkey hunting and duck hunting.  They are waterproof and have been a great pair.  15 years old and going strong.  Probably paid $99 or so and cried when I did it, but they were worth every penny. 

Check the lower end Vortex for some features you will not get at their price point.  All depends on what you are willing to pay.  I have a buddy that has some Swarovski bino that are nicer than my new vortex.  I personally do not see 250 vs 1250 difference in the optics (although I know there are differences) so I am tickled with my deal. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mtns2hunt

I was once told to "buy the best glass you can afford." The reson is you will likley use them much more than you expect. The more expensive models are built better, have better glass coatings and ergonomics. All important points in avoiding eye or arm strain. I frequently use my binos for hours on end both in the East and West. I would suggest Leopold or Nikon as my preference. Vortex is up and coming. So if you started with those three you would be making a good selection. I have no experience with any others other than Swarovski which are all I currently use.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

fallhnt

Out west you would need good high power glass. East of the Mississippi in timber and fields you can go smaller. 40$ won't work as well as 200$ and so on but if you keep the lens clean you will be happy. Buy once cry once.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

compton30

Another tip I'd suggest is, when you go to a place to look through a pair of noccers, be reasonable, offer to leave your driver's license and see if theyll let you take them outside to look through them. Try to find a bird to look at, do his wings look clear and crisp? Also try going early or later in the day when the sun is toughest. You really do get what you pay for with optics.

I run Vortex Optics and would recommend them to anyone

MK M GOBL

Been selling optics for better than 20 years and there are huge differences in glass. I will always say buy the best of what you can afford, I have a few pairs binoculars.

Swarovski EL's in 8.5x42's & SLC's 10x30 (My turkey pair) I also have some Alaskan Guide 8x42's for knock arounds...

If you are shopping at a budget I would look at some of these Nikon 8x30 Monarchs

MK M GOBL

wcerin

I did a lot of research when I bought my glass and ended up with a pair of Pentax. Pentax makes some good lenses at a reasonable price. I've been very pleased with them.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

CMBOSTC

And I thought I was big time when I bought a pair of Nikon Monarchs.

Sand Man

If you do a bunch of glassing there's no replacement for a quality pair.  At least for me.  I started to get headaches glassing for hours while deer/elk hunting until I bought a quality pair.  My first big boy purchase was the original Leica 10X42 Geovids.  It's the one purchase I never had buyers remorse and wish I had purchased sooner.  I upgraded recently to the 10X42 HD-B's.  I never leave my truck without them strapped to my chest when turkey hunting.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

eorlando

I have to agree with sandman. I have a pair of Leica Ultravid HDs 10x42 and never head into the woods without them. They are expensive but will last a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

qbaker

Thanks for the feedback -;)

Greg Massey

Vortex diamondback compact, well worth the money and lifetime warranty .....

qbaker