OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trophies?

Started by kdfester, May 01, 2017, 07:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfester

Want to see what opinions are here...  Deer hunters argue between trophy class horns and putting supper on the table.  I wanted to know do most members here think a called in Jake bird or young gobbler is still a trophy by any age hunter or skill level?

Happy

I think the trophy is in the eye of the hunter. I personally am not to picky when it comes to deer. We eat a lot of deer meat at my house. I still won't hunt over bait or use trail cameras but I will take a legal deer if its an adult and I have the tag and could use the meat. On the other hand I am not into shooting jakes as a rule but I have killed two in my lifetime. Still if a jake makes the hunter happy then that's their call.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

J-Shaped

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. If you're happy with him and how you got him, then no need to worry about what others think. Whatever it takes to keep it exciting for you.

guesswho

Happy's first sentence sums it up for both deer and turkeys.   If your happy with it, I'm happy for you!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

LaLongbeard

Jakes are off limits for the same reason I don't shoot fawns. Besides if meat was the reason for hunting there's ALOT cheaper ways to get a turkey to eat. License gas and one cheap turkey shell would buy you a turkey cleaned and frozen.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Farmboy27

All in the eyes of the hunter. I hunted a bird years back that gave me fits. Took 3/4 of the season to get him in. Turns out he was a jake. He went home with me and I was happy with him. Hunted one year with my arm in a sling and had to shoot one handed. The jake I killed that year was a trophy to me. Actually, those two birds are probably more memorable than most others. My 5 bearded bird came running in to my first set of calls and my 12" beard 1 3/8" spurs bird flew of the roost into gun range. I feel that the hunt(or hunts) for an animal make it a trophy, not the size.

TauntoHawk

Shot what gets your heart pumping, makes you proud to take home, and you will use and eat... That said even though I eat the turkeys I kill I don't hunt them for their meat if that makes sense. I won't shoot Jake's and I've even passed on scrubby toms that didnt get me excited enough to pull the trigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SteelerFan

At some point in your hunting career, you learn to put away the tape and realize the trophy is in the details.

kdfester

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 01, 2017, 09:04:16 PM
At some point in your hunting career, you learn to put away the tape and realize the trophy is in the details.

Well said

fallhnt

I shoot first the legal animal in range.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

It's all about the hunt! The rest are just details...

MK M GOBL

kyturkeyhunter4

I think the trophy is the eye be holder, it's what ever makes you happy.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on May 01, 2017, 09:57:07 PM
I think the trophy is the eye be holder, it's what ever makes you happy.

Agreed
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: kdfester on May 01, 2017, 09:18:45 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on May 01, 2017, 09:04:16 PM

Well said

blake_08

The last jake I killed was a Rio in west Oklahoma. Him and 2 other jakes came on a string to my calling, gobbling every 2nd step of the way. I had already killed a long beard on that trip so I had one tag left. I didn't even hesitate to pull the trigger. They had my heart racing in my throat so those jakes (it was a double with my brother in law) were a great trophy to us. Ate the same too!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk