OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Name me one western Merriams state you would pursue

Started by Swampchickin234, May 01, 2017, 12:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampchickin234

Looking for something different and a white top fellows.  Wanting to get out of the Stomping grounds of my southern states I hit and go for a totally different hunt. I would love a white tip and I want to do it in public land.  SD gets beat to death I know. Nebraska, Kansas etc.    I want something different.   NM, CO, AZ, WY, MT, ??   Where would you go.  Why?   I'm not asking you to give me coordinates. I just want to make some new memories and hunt a state that I never have.  If I have to pay for it , I have to pay. But I would much rather do it totally DIY.  you can PM me if you so wish.   I understand the cyber scouting kind of things in today's world.  Again, I want to emphasize I am not looking for a spot (I will do that myself) I just want to know where you would go and why.  Was it because of the view that you could not get enough of?  Was it because of the challenge?  The weather?   I live my southern roots, and as long as the good Lord let's me, I'll chase em here till I die, but I want to hunt something that is totally different. . 
Thanks! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT elk slayer

MT the experience in the mountains is a totally new perspective. You won't regret the views and amount of public land. May have to hunt in 20 degree weather, but the turkeys don't seem to mind. I enjoy hunting them in the same areas I chase elk, the wildlife, the views, the experience, I'll never leave this place
When the bulls ain't talkin, hit the ice, when the ice is melted, break out the ol box call

Meadow Valley Man

The Black Hills of Wyoming offer a great hunt, but don't go too early because you may get caught in a spring blizzard, and the turkeys may still be on the winter range.

FL-Boss

Do it... don't be once those people that says " hopefully someday" and never does. Life is short.
Black Hill Wyoming is hard to beat.  NM, CO, MT, WY.. all amazing. You will remember it forever

hobbes

I'm not sure where you are coming from in the South.  If you've not hunted any western states previously, then any of them will offer a new experience and Merriam's turkeys.  A believe a shorter trip will be CO or NM if you want to hunt the mountains.  I'd suggest SW CO.

If you want Ponderosa country then NE,  SD, WY would be my suggestion.  I would never rule out the Black Hills no matter how many people seem to talk about it.  I've not hunted the BH, but it's beautiful country.

Kansas does not have Merriam's.   

MT has beautiful country but you'll drive past an awful lot of turkeys and fantastic western country to get here.

Don't be surprised if any one of those places has Merriam's with buff colored tips instead of snow white.

Dtrkyman

Nm,Mt,Wy

Swampchickin234

Quote from: hobbes on May 01, 2017, 11:01:10 AM
I'm not sure where you are coming from in the South.  If you've not hunted any western states previously, then any of them will offer a new experience and Merriam's turkeys.  A believe a shorter trip will be CO or NM if you want to hunt the mountains.  I'd suggest SW CO.

If you want Ponderosa country then NE,  SD, WY would be my suggestion.  I would never rule out the Black Hills no matter how many people seem to talk about it.  I've not hunted the BH, but it's beautiful country.

MT has beautiful country but you'll drive past an awful lot of turkeys and fantastic western country to get here.

Don't be surprised if any one of those places has Merriam's with buff colored tips instead of snow white.
Hobbes I realize that Kansas does not have them. I was more referring  to Kansas and Nebraska as in the norm. Ive seen Kansas and Ive seen Nebraska.  I just want something different from that (I definitely realize you are driving through a lot of good turkeys) SD I could do or somewhere out west.   I just want the opportunity to hunt pure strain Merriam's.

Swampchickin234

Thanks a for all the suggestions fellows.   I do appreciate it. Keep em coming.  This will be spring of 18. 

hunter22

I am leaving in the morning for the San Isabel National Forest in SE Colorado. I did this hunt in 2015 and took a beautiful Merriam's with pure white tips. Wife goes with me and we stay in a cabin up in the mountains. Elk and mule deer everywhere. A few black bear also. When I pulled the trigger on my gobbler there were a herd of bull elk around me. I had one really beautiful gobbler that I was on two different times that I hope is still there. I am hunting around 8000 feet and some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.   

Rzrbac

I've been to several western states. I love mountains but they are tough to get around in.  Hope to get back out there and kill my first bull someday.  If I were to pick one, it would be South Dakota. The Black Hills don't seem near as rugged as Colorado or Idaho. It's beautiful country in the Black Hills not that other states aren't, I love Idaho. The terrain just seems suitable for chasing gobblers in western South Dakota. I hope to chase Merriams someday myself.

Tomfoolery

Quote from: hobbes on May 01, 2017, 11:01:10 AM

X2 on the black hills. I went for my first time and had my merriams withing 30 minutes of my first evening hunt. Lots of luck but its def a place id return to. Worked birds every day we were there and didnt see another hunter. That forest is BIG we didnt even touch it  but there seemed to be birds everywhere we looked

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

hobbes

If you want to ensure pure strain Merriam's then I'd look at their historical range in SW Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, but you can still find birds that aren't pure white.  I guess they are white compared to an Eastern. 

I know Gobblenut discusses NM turkeys that are pure strain that are at the far end of the color range for Merriam's. 

hunter22

Here's the Colorado Merriam's I killed in 2015.

Uncle Nicky

I hunted in New Mexico about 10 years ago on public land and got skunked (but heard & saw birds). I'd like to give it another shot some time, you're allowed 2 per year and don't have to apply for tags, they're OTC.