OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A Few Beginner Questions

Started by qbaker, April 30, 2017, 10:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbaker

As this area of the forum indicates I'm "new" to Turkey Hunting and have a few questions:

(1) I'm in the Buffalo, NY area looking for nearby place for my first hunt this Fall. Any suggestions on places within 1-hour or so to Buffalo? Any recommendations on specific areas to begin scouting as well?

(2) Has anyone hunted Has anyone turkey hunted 

Boutwell Hill State Forest
Boutwell Hill Road
Cherry Creek, NY 14723?

Link: http://www.tourchautauqua.com/Where-To-Play/Hunting/Boutwell-Hill-State-Forest-.aspx?mid=15791&c=31

(3) Any tips on good areas to scout? How early should I be "on grounds" for scouting in the am?

(4) Is the owl/crow call a good method during scouting if no Turkey's are heard?

Thanks everyone

Bowguy

If you're looking to hunt NY n you're late. Season opened today. Not many guys are gonna give you areas. Maybe one lol.
Anyway crow and owl calls can be good to get em to shock gobble. You should check your areas for gobbling n scout initially audibly especially since you now may be walking in on someone else

Bowguy

I'm sorry buddy didn't see that.

MickT

I can't speak to that specific area, but turkeys will be much more clumped up and quite possibly in completely different areas then. I wouldn't bother with shock calling in the fall, as busting up and reassembling is the name of the game then. I would concentrate on areas with good mast potential and roost sites then scout for fresh sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Once you find em they will most likely use those same areas year after year. Don't get stuck in the " I'm only going to shoot a longbeard " mode. Fall hunting is a blast. I hunt them using decoys and calling just like Spring. Watching birds interact with decoys is enjoyable.  Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

qbaker

Quote from: Bowguy on May 01, 2017, 12:49:59 PM
I'm sorry buddy didn't see that.
all in the name of fun lol-- I wish I could afford to get out this season (spring) but I only own inherited shotguns from my dad (who's  gone on) and they appear to need a little work they''re older gunds; not a problem in itself, but could use a little tlc.

qbaker

Thanks all of you- great tips from "everyone"

BABS9

I'm just north of buffalo. Out of courtesy for other turkey hunters I wouldn't go tearing around the woods in spring turkey season scouting for fall. Everything will change by then anyway. I would do some research find some land that might be worth looking into and start knocking on some doors and making phone calls. It will probably be much tougher to get permission to private land for the fall season because most people are deer hunting but maybe for next spring. Best way to answer your where to hunt question is to put boots on the ground and scout. I don't think anyone is going to share info about there spots especially over the internet. Good luck

Terry

In my experience not many guy hunt turkey in the fall in NY. You may be able to find some nice state land spots and only have to contend with bowhunters looking for deer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

First you need a place to hunt, next you need to scout and look around and learn the area. Second you need to buy calls and such and learn how to use these calls. Third get you a pretty good shotgun and turkey loads and practices shooting and learning the gun, you want a good even pattern. Fourth you have got to go hunting...good luck...let nature wake the turkeys up , you don't have to run around the woods sounding like a fire truck going to a fire. don't worry so much about owl/crow call...all you need is a crow call for later in the morning or day....you may want some camo clothing and good walking boots......

qbaker