OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wait for him, wait for him, why'd you shoot?

Started by WNCTracker, April 29, 2017, 01:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Tried to help a buddy, 2nd year in a row, to get his first gobbler by calling for him on some land that I've got scouted pretty good.  It was an awesome foggy hazy morning and the sun was slow to rise.  We got a look at a flock about 500 yards away, 3 jakes, 2 toms, 4 hens and mapped our attack using the lay of the land for cover.  It was perfect, we crawled briars, and waded creeks, climbed cliffs, and slid down steeps but made to the perfect approach since they were just over the hill in a field.  Tried a couple soft yelps to test the water and boom, instant double gobbles.  We decided on setting up near the fence row for cover that had a nice window for shooting though.  10 mins of good gobbling and they were within drumming distance.  He was ready, after getting hasty last year, he was ready.  I told him to take his time and make the shot in that window through the barbed wire.  3 gobblers appeared within shooting range and I could see his gun shaking, and hear him breathing.  We watched them strut back and forth, at about 15 yards. I shut up and just watched.  They were headed for the clearing, I was getting ready to parepare for the shot when BOOM, he shot.....a young pine tree... and the gobbler flew away.  I looked at him and said what the H**L was that?  He said, " I just couldn't wait any longer, I thought I had the shot."  10 more seconds and it would have been a different outcome.  he's one of my best buddies so we always have a good laugh at ourselves in life and this is just another one to remember one day.  I was jealous of his adrenaline rush though, that's the best feeling ever.  I did tell him that I was moving onto trout now...

JMalin

Some people just don't have what it takes.  Yes, my heart beats faster when I've got my bead on a turkey, but I've never been tempted to pull the trigger when there wasn't an unobstructed path for the lead to fly.  Not on an unsuspecting bird anyway.  I have taken a Hail Mary or two at a bird that had busted me.

owlhoot

Yep sometimes you just need to let the bird walk and try again another day.

BowBendr

Yep, I boogered up one in Yancey Co. two Saturdays ago, I needed 2 yds.
Shoulda' let him walk off and kill him the next morning. Musta' been bad because he or the 3 hens have not came back as of this morning...

mtns2hunt

It happens! I had a give me once. Pulled the trigger and watched in amazment as the bird headed for the next county. Turned out I had shot a two inch pine in half. Never seen that tree - too focused I guess.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

WNCTracker

Oh yeah, it happened to me last year on my first shot of the season. I killed that Branch. He just doesn't have much experience and he said he thought the gobbler was getting nervous. I told him I've not met one that wasn't nervous. It was a good time and good laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgm1955

tha bugman