turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snakes in Kansas.

Started by spoonbill, April 28, 2017, 03:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoonbill

Do I need to pack the snake boots for Kansas???  We are leaving May 3rd and will be hunting around hays.  I live and hunt in Louisiana so I never go in the turkey woods without my snake boots.  I have a pair of danners and they are comfortable but really hot.  If I can get away with lighter boots I will.

dejake

Gooserbat

I would suggest full body armor. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

davisd9

We saw Prairie Rattlesnakes.  Pretty cool snake and seemed pretty docile.  I just wore the same rubber boots I wear here in SC.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ncwoodsman

I went to Kansas last year and wore my knee high Lacrosse rubber boots and had no problems. Even the guides wore low top hiking style boots for comfort, but it's your call. I would say it's no need IMO.

wvmntnhick

coonhunter

If their with in 100 miles of me I would have them on!!
Joshua 24:15

tha bugman

Naw you don't need them, but you better pack some extra toilet paper....

duxrus

Bull snakes are fine unless you try to pick one up  :toothy9:

tha bugman

Quote from: duxrus on April 28, 2017, 10:40:08 AM
Bull snakes are fine unless you try to pick one up  :toothy9:
sure make alot of racket!

spaightlabs

They are ornery cusses for sure, and ya wouldn't want to get bit just cuz of infection, but they re nice to have around - they are hell on rodents.

eorlando

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 28, 2017, 12:31:38 PM
They are ornery cusses for sure, and ya wouldn't want to get bit just cuz of infection, but they re nice to have around - they are hell on rodents.
Infection????? Seriously?? I have been bitten by hundreds of snakes over the years and never once had an infection from any of them. I use to breed, raise, and catch snakes for many years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

I've hunted and scouted KS hard on the eastern part of the state the last three years. I've only ran across a couple black rat snakes the area I hunt. I was scouting some Rio ground in south central KS area, heard a rattle and slowly backed up and stayed away from that property. I raise and breed boa constrictors but have no interest in messing with wild snakes, escpecially venomous ones. I'd say bring the boots just to be careful if you're hunting the central to western part of the state. If you're on the East side I'd pack for comfort as it won't be an issue.

spaightlabs

I've hunted western KS every year for the past 10.  I've stepped on a snapping turtle in the middle of an alfalfa field but I've never seen a venomous snake.  Also been stung by a bee.

Hooksfan

I have hunted Kansas literally all over the state except the extreme western pajrt. This has been for the past 17 years.
In that time I have had one encounter with a venomous snake and it just about got my kid. I was moving along a creek bed along a,losing stream and making a move on some field birds. Wasn't worried at all about snakes because I had convinced myself there were no snakes to worry about in Eastern Kansas ( I was raised in south Louisiana) I about passed out when I saw that all too familiar white mouth fly open next to my kids leg.
Yep. Big Ole water moccasin.I pulled my kid back and the snake took off.
So....moral to the story is that you are far less likely to have problems in Kansas compared to other areas, but it is still a good idea to keep your eyes open