Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Black Hills merriams (3rd leg of the slam done)

Started by Tomfoolery, April 27, 2017, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomfoolery

Drove up to the hills from Louisiana. Left last Friday evening and arrived at our campsite Saturday around 3. We set up tent and camp then decided to go look at a few spots we had picked out. This was me and my cousins first time here. Walked a ridge looking for sign and roosting areas. I hit the box call here and there. About midway thru the first ridge I hit the call and a bird hammered. Pretty far down below. So we eased down to the edge of the hill called and he answered but still far. Next we hear a hen. Shes answering and getting closer. Then we see 2 turkeys coming down a trail at us. 2 hens! The tom is still answering me but still in the same spot. So we let the hens walk past us then take off towards him. We get around the edge of a foothill and i see him strutting in a flat about 200 yards. Hes answering but just strutting. Next the hen is coming back! She cuts in front of us headed towards him. My cousin jumps up and flushed the hen. Only option. She flys over the tom out of sight. Next i hit him with some fighting purs and a gobble he double gobbled then we see him pop up coming our way. Gobbling about every 5 steps. Ill never forget that white fan when he strutted. Let him get to 30 yards and let him have it. The rest of the week was a lot tougher. Was on birds every day but just could score. Couple close calls and a couple mess ups but unfortunately my cousin wasnt able to fill his tag. All in all a blast and would like to do it again.

eorlando

That's awesome. Congrats!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

longbeard11

Absolutely awesome!!!!! What a gorgeous bird!!! Congrats

Tomfoolery

Thanks. Forgot to mention that all day tuesday was a wash. We had a snow of about 9" come thru. Kept us at the camp that day.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Tomfoolery

Few more pics. 1st its hard to see but its a bull elk that walked up on us 1 eve [/URL]

OkatieHunter

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."

-The Colonel

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

hobbes

mtns2hunt

The grin says it all. Congrates on a nice bird. I rhad the oppertunity to take one in the snow last year. It sure proides a different perspective!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

beagler

Never Misses

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!