OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Has OG ever done a biggest bird contest?

Started by WNCTracker, April 24, 2017, 10:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I know we do the teams but has there ever been a biggest typical or atypical bird contest for one single winner to have the bragging rights that year?  I've not been on OG as long as many of you to know if there's ever been one? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

I'm not sure if they have ever had one or not, but I thinks it's a smart play not to.  Contests, especially individual contests tend to bring out the worst in some people.  I guarantee you there would be 20 arguments just over the rules not being fair and so on even before the contest started.   Then once it did mayhem would follow.   It's a lot more peaceful without an individual contest.  The team contests sometimes get out of hand.   A friendly contest among good friends is one thing, but involve a few friends and a lot of internet strangers and you have a recipe for lots of conflict.   JMO!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

outdoors

I AGREE WITH GUESSWHO
CHECK OUT MY PRIZE .......
           NOT
I HAVE THE BIGGEST .........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

WNCTracker

Quote from: guesswho on April 25, 2017, 07:48:55 AM
I'm not sure if they have ever had one or not, but I thinks it's a smart play not to.  Contests, especially individual contests tend to bring out the worst in some people.  I guarantee you there would be 20 arguments just over the rules not being fair and so on even before the contest started.   Then once it did mayhem would follow.   It's a lot more peaceful without an individual contest.  The team contests sometimes get out of hand.   A friendly contest among good friends is one thing, but involve a few friends and a lot of internet strangers and you have a recipe for lots of conflict.   JMO!

That's a good point, contest could as you state bring out the worst in people.  In my mind I was picturing a mature group of grown ups in a friendly, all for fun, competition like, as you state, is common among friends.  If people acted like fools then it wouldn't be worth it but do you think it's better to just avoid it altogether or try it and see how it goes and then abort if it does turn out poorly?  Maybe I'm being naive about human nature.

Happy

Looking back there are a few instances of things getting pretty chippy with the team contests. Pretty sad seeing as there is nothing to win other than bragging rights. I enjoy the team competition just for the fun of being involved but I really am not that concerned with picking apart technical details to try and win. To me it's all in good fun and we shoot some turkeys and whichever team gets the best birds wins. Doesn't change a single facet of how I hunt other than I get some measurements now when I kill one. I would really enjoy a good smack talk thread for entertainment purposes but once again someone's feelings will get hurt and the crying will begin. My rule of thumb has always been don't dish it unless you can take it. Wish others would follow that rule. Could be a hoot but I doubt it would turn out well.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TauntoHawk

I did a local big bird contest a few times even won before, but the lengths people went to win a few bucks I won't rush to blend competition and hunting again.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WisTurk

Yeah unfortunately it's in some peoples' nature to "win" at all costs to make them feel like a big man no matter how small the prize may be (even if it's just bragging rights).  Heck, last year we had a friendly Fitbit competition for everyone here at work (some wellness thing for our insurance) and you wouldn't believe the amount of cheating that went on for a little $20 gift card.  Somehow certain people seemed to GAIN weight despite supposedly doing 15,000-20,000 steps everyday or "riding their bikes" even during days that we had snow storms.  It was clear that the people being honest about it had no chance.

BowBendr

We used to really have a hoot with the contest here on OG. The smack talk was way over the top, but all in great fun. People took it for what is was worth, dishing it out and taking it in return was a normal part of the deal. Even when being brutal, it turned into a laugh. Sadly, a ton of those folks are gone and a bunch of dudes with the first name of Nancy showed up to replace them and hurt feelings became the new norm.
Playing for fun keeps it real I guess, a prize or award for biggest gobbler would reduce it to a sad whizzing contest.....now days we can't even give a gobbler credit for what God gave him because of it.......

Gods of Thunder

SteelerFan

A friendly contest among good friends is one thing, but involve a few friends and a lot of internet strangers and you have a recipe for lots of conflict.   JMO!

:agreed:
Best to keep "competition" between you and the bird.

And really, comparing the 21.5 lb / 10.5" / 1.25 bird to the 22.3 lb / 10.75" / 1 1/8" bird. What's the point?

Cut N Run

To me, hunting each gobbler is a contest within itself.  My heaviest bird was not the most difficult one I ever killed, but it was a spectacular hunt.  I doubt the biggest gobbler from this state could compete with the bigger northern or mid-western birds.  Every now & then we hear about a 25 pound gobbler killed locally, but it is  very uncommon.  A few years ago, my best friend killed 3 gobblers that were 25 pounds & over in his trip across the tier of northern states and his weren't as big as some of them up there get. That kind of contest would not be an apples to apples comparison.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

WNCTracker

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 25, 2017, 06:36:58 PM
A friendly contest among good friends is one thing, but involve a few friends and a lot of internet strangers and you have a recipe for lots of conflict.   JMO!

And really, comparing the 21.5 lb / 10.5" / 1.25 bird to the 22.3 lb / 10.75" / 1 1/8" bird. What's the point?
there's a whole section with a dozen teams or so doing this because, well, it's sort of fun.

WNCTracker

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 25, 2017, 07:54:59 PM
To me, hunting each gobbler is a contest within itself.  My heaviest bird was not the most difficult one I ever killed, but it was a spectacular hunt.  I doubt the biggest gobbler from this state could compete with the bigger northern or mid-western birds.  Every now & then we hear about a 25 pound gobbler killed locally, but it is  very uncommon.  A few years ago, my best friend killed 3 gobblers that were 25 pounds & over in his trip across the tier of northern states and his weren't as big as some of them up there get. That kind of contest would not be an apples to apples comparison.

Jim
Jim, I was thinking total score rather than just weight. "Biggest bird" was misleading.

Happy

To really make things truly "fair" there would have to be so many rules to make a level playing field it would be crazy. I would just prefer to keep things basic and have fun. Did a check and there was a competition for best eastern, best Merriam's, best bowkill,ect. Doesn't look like there were to many entries tho. It's under the fun stuff, games, ect.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 25, 2017, 08:53:55 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on April 25, 2017, 06:36:58 PM

there's a whole section with a dozen teams or so doing this because, well, it's sort of fun.

I guess you may be right. I'm just basing my experience on my own history. I fished bass tournaments in the late 80's & early 90's. I get that. One body of water that everybody fishes at the same time under the same conditions.

Translated to the hunting world, where you have different parts of a State - much less regions of the country... I guess I don't get that. I just never equated hunting as a competitive endeavor.

MK M GOBL

I would so win a "Big Bird" Contest!

MK M GOBL