OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

6yr Old Sons First Turkey.

Started by bigjames50, April 24, 2017, 09:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjames50

Took the boy out for the Ohio youth weekend. Saturday morning we had 3 jakes come right in to the 1/4 strut jake decoy. He missed the birds but peppered my decoy with #6 shot. That story in itself I will be telling for many years to come. Sunday morning we hunted a different place and was set up in a spot I always have seen turkeys. Sure enough we where covered up at flydown. Two toms came running in but spooked at the decoys before he could get on them. He was bummed and I'm sure I felt worse than him second guessing our setup. Around 7:15 I got a group of jakes fired up and they began working their way towards us. Once they hit the wood line and saw the jake decoy they came right in and he shot the biggest one at no more than 10 yards. I've killed birds by myself, and with good friends but nothing can hold a candle to your own child. I now have a turkey hunting buddy for life! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eorlando

That is awesome!!!! I can't wait for my boy to be old enough. He will be 4 in November. A couple more years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MDSTRUTNRUT

SWEET!   I remember those days with my son JUST AWESOME! 

MT elk slayer

Tell your boy I said congratulations. I remember the days that my dad taught me about hunting and now he can't keep up anymore, barely has the time to kill a deer, let alone anything else while I fill every tag in my pocket here in Montana. Better watch out dad, you got him hooked and he's gonna pass you up quick. Reminds me of my youth years and brings a tear to my eye. Tell him I'm proud of him!
When the bulls ain't talkin, hit the ice, when the ice is melted, break out the ol box call

Poleaxe

Congratulations. We deserve trophys because taking a 5yr old after a deer is one thing but even at 6 a turkey is a very hard task to complete.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Mabren2

The Baron

Congratulations - that is great!  My son is 7, and unfortunately they're not "supposed" to pull the trigger here in ON until they're 12.  That's a long time to wait for a youngster who's properly mentored and supervised, IMHO.

Oh, and I see our boys both go to the same dentist.  :laugh:
"I don't hunt turkeys cause I want to; I hunt turkeys cause I have to."  – Tom Kelly

Bowguy

coonhunter

That's great!!  I'm trying to get my boy his first. He missed one a couple of weeks ago and got him bummed. Hope we can close the deal soon!!
Joshua 24:15

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats to him. Afraid he may never be the same again.

vt35mag

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!