OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: MO bird down  (Read 4245 times)

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
MO bird down
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
MO bird down! Pics and details later today. Early measuring showing this bird may score around 70. Norman I'll be emailing you pics today!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
MO bird down
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
Congrats! Now you know we will need a story to live vicariously through you!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
Re: MO bird down
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 02:42:01 PM »
 "Official" measurements:23# 11" beard 1 1/8spurs=67.5
  will have story and pics later. Boys want to go catch fish!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:44:39 PM by jakesdad »

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »
OK here's the story.first of all please excuse the error on the score sheet as reading 1 3/8 should be 1 1/8.total score was figured with correct numbers. MO season has been frustrating to say the least. Very little bird talk going on. Have heard the same from many other  turkey buddies so it's not just   me. Today started much like the others, very little roost gobbling. Even with clear,cool mornings with no wind and high pressure birds are sikent.anyway I'm at a farm where I've got pics of 5 long beards roaming the area so I at least I know they should be something around.I'm setup on a long narrow clearing known to have birds.get a few light gobbles up to around 7 then quiet. Around 9 this bird sounds off to my north about 300 yards  near a pipeline right of way .  Decision time;stay put or move. Decide to   stay.give out some yelps and Cutts on my hooks glass call with the occasional gobble  reply. Goes silent about 945. About 10 minutes later he appears at the opposite end of the clearing coming off the road connecting the clearing and  pipeline. Bird is in full strut. Switch over to my Sneed hot hen and let out some light yelps. Breaks strut and starts my way. This clearing has several dips and rises so he disappears and reappears several times. I don't have any decoys out so he's looking every time he comes out of a dip.the last rise that
 puts him in range is 25 yards  in front of me and up comes a fan and a bird looking for a girlfriend. Safety is off on the 870 and I give out a cluck to get him to break but he keeps coming (I'm in the   timber about 5 yards  )one more cluck and no dice,still coming,so the bead goes between the eyes and whammo!never even a flop or twitch. 3" 1"1/4 Oz #6 old Remington hevi shot does the trick through   the jellyhead.never gobbled once from the time I first saw him until I pulled the trigger. On to bird #2 (hopefully) next week.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
Great story about making the right decisions at the right time. Again, you have the heaviest butterball on the team so far. Great job!  :happy0064:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:12:34 AM »
According to the latest standings it looks like we are in strong 3rd place in overall points. :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
Congrats.  I really need to get up to the Show me State to hunt a bird.   :you_rock:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
That is a true boar tom.  Not many of those get flipped by a hunter.  Congrats. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
Great job and congratulations! I'm headed to MO next week hoping to get it done! Good luck on the next bird.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
congrats on the bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
MO bird down
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »
Man, knowing a bird is coming toward me and having to wait for him to get in range is nerve-racking for me. Good job being patient and getting the job done.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk