turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler # 3

Started by fl panhandler, April 11, 2011, 06:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fl panhandler

I made it to the hunting camp just in time Fri. to try and roost one for Sat. morning.  In my haste, I parked at the gate that I wanted to go into and when I got out the door slammed shut.  Boom, a turkey gobbled across the street from where I was going to go.  I figured if he was the willing to gobble then maybe I could have a go with him.  I walked into that section and was trying to get to where I thought I could roost him better.  I came around the corner and 6 deer were eating in a food plot.  Plan b.  I walked into a little dim road that I thought was pretty close and let out an owl hoot.  Bam, he gobbled again and I was able to get a pretty good fix on his location.
I  walked into that location Sat. AM about 1/2 hr before daylight and waited for him to gobble on his own.  He didn't.  It was getting real light now and he still hadn't sounded off.  I took out my Kaiser glass call in wormy chestnut and gave him a little tree talk and a few soft purrs.  That lit him up!!!  I shut up, he knew where I was.  He gobbled off and on for another 1/2 hr. or so.  When I heard him fly down I called to him and he readily gobbled back to me.  I had set up where I thought he might come in from a little opening in a thick spot.  He did.  He gobbled just out of sight and almost blew my hat off.  He died at 6:40 AM. He had a 10 1/4" beard, 1" and 1 1/8" spurs.  His weight was a little light at 16lbs and 15 ounces.  I guess he had been breeding alot.  Man I love it when a plan comes together.  That call has been the demise of many gobblers. 
Rick

Hognutz

Congrats again, Panhandler. Great story, and very nice bird.. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

trkycaller

socalturkeyman

A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BOFF

Great read and hunt!!

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on a fine bird!!

God Bless,
David B.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

lmbhngr

870supermagnum

harvester

cannonball

RutnNStrutn

Congrats man!! Love it when a plan works out like you wanted!!

Wrangler95

:anim_65:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Ol'Mossy

Nice gobbler, congrats  :icon_thumright:

chcltlabz

Gotta love getting an easy one every now and again. :anim_65:
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.