OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shot a Fatty  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Captain Hooks

• EZ Outdoors
Shot a Fatty
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
Another wet morning... 
Buddy had a farm he could hunt down the road from me and I told him I'd take a look and see what's out in the fields after work. Get there and see a good one out in the field and convince my buddy to go hunt the farm in the am.
Get there in the am and brought a blind for him to hunt the field where I saw the tom and I ventured into the woods where I've heard birds roosting in the past. 
It's 6:15 and I have not heard a thing but my buddy has 4 gobbling none stop behind him and I get greedy and I decided to sneak back his way. Of course I spooked 3 hens and a Tom off the roost like a dumb dumb. Watched where they flew and headed to where my buddy was. I get there and my buddy is in a rock break and there was no way I was able to cut over his way with the chance of spooking birds. I hear the birds Gobble and it sounded like a tom and some jakes.... so I decided to go back where I busted the birds off the roost and head to where I saw the birds fly to.
Find a good tree that I can hide from the rain and settled in. I didn't use any decoys because I didn't feel like carry them around. Called with a raspy diaphragm call because it was to wet to take out the pot calls and I listened while the rain kept falling. 
Around 930 the rain starts to settle down and I started doing some fighting  purrs and got loud.  Sat for about 10 minutes and then I saw a strutter slowly coming my way. I could only see 5 inches of his fan zig zagging my way.   
He was with a hen and I was hoping she was curious. Turned out to be 3 hens and a big fan .  About 10 minutes fly by and they are at 50 coming right to me.
They walk through my opening with the strutter in tow. I Give a couple clucks and the tom pops his head up at about 25yards and I put the bead under his head and squeezed the trigger.  Birdie down!!
Heavy bird weighed over 25 lbs
Had 11 and change beard and 1.25" spurs.  I'm a Happy camper.
My buddies birds never showed up until 11:45 and he was already out of his camo ready to go...

When picking up the bird I thought he had some weight to him. Hung him in the scale 25.77 pounds had to weighit him 3 times

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:25:36 PM by Captain Hooks »

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
Shot a Fatty
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »
Dang that's a heavy bird !
Good going CH, you've killed some nice ones.

Gods of Thunder

Offline Captain Hooks

• EZ Outdoors
Re: Shot a Fatty
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
Trophy hunting now

Offline MDbowman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Shot a Fatty
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 09:24:18 PM »
Great bird Paul!

Offline derek