OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: He may score well  (Read 2670 times)

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
He may score well
« on: April 21, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »
Got a good one today in md I think will make the cut.  Will update with pics and story when I can. Been hard at it the last week.

UPDATE

Little slow start to the morning with the drizzle/mist/humidity.. when gobble time came we heard nothing. About the time I'd think a bird could be on the ground I yelped.. about a minute later he gobbles. I yelp again, he answers. Made a little move to get closer, calling as we moved up and he just about answered everything I put out there. Got to a decent set up where I could sit side by side with my dad and sat down. Got him good and cranked up and gave him a little silence. He was gaining on us good. Before long could hear him drumming. At one point he gobbled really close and shortly after came into view within 40 yards. He was moving to my side, but I wasn't sure if dad was going to shoot or not.. I don't know what he saw but all of a sudden he flips his wings and was on the break out.. at first he went behind a tree from my angle so as soon as he stepped out I shot.. it was too close to being game over and its hard to say what Dad was looking through even though we were that close.. had to make the call.. Was very pleased to see what he was sporting hookwise. Tale of the tape - 20lbs 3oz, 10" beard, 1 1/2"x 1 7/16" spurs. Spent the rest of the morning looking for one willing to play for my Dad but to no avail... he was the only bird we heard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:18:53 PM by derek »

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
He may score well
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »
Glad you were able to get a shot ! He is a great bird.
That should give us 9 birds...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:13:55 AM by BowBendr »

Offline Captain Hooks

• EZ Outdoors
Re: He may score well
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »
Stud turkey

Offline DMP

• Longbeard
Re: He may score well
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
Great job Derek.