turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rifle sights left vs right handed

Started by codym, April 21, 2017, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codym

I picked up an 870 max gobble last year as a back up gun to my 20 ga. I haven't really messed with it much until a couple weeks ago. It throws a great pattern with 3' LB #5's. Problem is that it was hitting quite a bit to the right. I adjusted and got the pattern pretty well centered at 40 yards. I am left handed. When I look at the rear sight it is adjusted almost all the way to the left. Ok so my issue is I'm letting my dad barrow this gun for a hunt and he is right handed, I'm worried that it maybe way off for him. I will have him test fire it and adjust it if we need to but we won't have much time. What do you all think? I know I won't know anything for sure until he shoots it but does left or right handedness play a big role in POI and POA with regards to open sights?

dirt road ninja

shouldn't make any difference at all. I wouldn't worry, my son is right handed and my daughter shoots lefty, they share the same weapon sometimes and no adjustment is required.

codym

Cool that's what I figured but the rear sight is way to the left. I just really want my dad to get his first bird on this trip and I don't wanna set him up for failure!

KYStalker

If the gun was being sighted in from a stable position, then it should be fine and wouldn't matter left or right handed.  However, if the gun was sighted in from an unstable position (off hand), your sight adjustments could potentially be compensating for something unique to your shooting, such as a flinch.  Test shoot from a lead sled, sand bag, etc to minimize shooter induced error, and then adjust your sights from that.  Any problems now will be in the technique of the shooter. 
If you're not first, your last!!

HFultzjr

The only time I can see it mattering is if you as a lefty are "right eye dominant". Or dad being a righty, is "left eye dominant". Check both you and your dad's eye dominance and make sure lefty is left eyed and righty is right eyed. Ask if you don't know how to check.

tha bugman

Quote from: codym on April 21, 2017, 05:48:15 PM
Cool that's what I figured but the rear sight is way to the left. I just really want my dad to get his first bird on this trip and I don't wanna set him up for failure!
This lefty's sights on his 870 are way left as well.  POI should be fine.  If in doubt take him to the range and let him go bang on some paper turkeys a few times.  Confidence in knowing your gun can go along way!