OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Not sure if it's an upgrade but put one down at 6:24am-UPDATED  (Read 3336 times)

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!

Sorry fellas, not an upgrade but a heart pounding, one of the shortest hunts I've ever had.  Got in the woods right at 6am, making my way up a logging road and once I got to the top I sat down on the edge to listen.  I would say it was about 6:10 when one gobbled to my left not 100 yards from me so I sneak into the trees about 50-60 yards and drop next to a white oak.  I debated making one more move but decided to stay put, glad I did as one gobbled and he was closer, like 60 yards away.  I had just pulled out my slate and a striker and got my gun on my knee when turkeys start pitching down along the logging road.  Had I stayed on it or made a closer move I would have boogered the hunt.  After I watch 4 turkeys pitch down I do a fly down and throw out some soft yelps on my slate and they hammer on the ground, I scratch in the leaves some and call again and they hammer again and I hear them walking my way.  Gun up, safety off and I'm scanning.  I finally see a strutter in front of me at 35 yards or so and then another gobbler.  I wait for them to move behind some trees so I can adjust my gun and as they come out the other side it's 4 gobblers.  I pick what I think is the strutter and drop him at 30-35 yards.  Turkeys go flying everywhere then when I'm running to him.  He felt light when I picked him up, weighed him at home and he was a whopping 16.2 lbs. and had very little breast sponge.  3/4" spurs and a 9.75" beard.  Not a bad 2 year old who's been sewing his oats.  I was in the woods for 24 minutes and back home before 7am.    One tag left and I'm off all next week so fingers crossed I can up our score a little. 

The picture my wife got with the caption "That was quick"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:28:35 PM by trkehunr93 »

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Not sure if it's an upgrade but put one down at 6:24am
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:54:15 AM »
That's great. Nice looking bird.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
Congratulations Jim!  Looks like it has a good beard.  Whether an upgrade or not, it is a fine looking bird!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
Congrats

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »
Congrats! Great bird!

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Not sure if it's an upgrade but put one down at 6:24am-UPDATED
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
Congrats, before I got on this forum I always scored my birds by the number of times they gobbled! 

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Not sure if it's an upgrade but put one down at 6:24am-UPDATED
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:12:39 PM »
Congrats, before I got on this forum I always scored my birds by the number of times they gobbled!

Me too.  He got a 6 outta 10 if that were the case.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Not sure if it's an upgrade but put one down at 6:24am-UPDATED
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 02:19:34 PM »

Same here, scoring one does not mean much to me, but it is fun for the contest.

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Love the foot on the head!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Offline YoungbuckTX

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »
good stuff. cant beat a perfect hunt like that
line 'em up