turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 Wingmaster, Baby!

Started by 2eagles, April 17, 2017, 04:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

We were newlyweds in 1976 and my new bride bought me a new Wingmaster for my birthday. I have used that shotgun for pheasants, ducks, geese, rabbits, deer and probably a squirrel or two, but never a turkey. See, I haven't been a turkey hunter all that many years and all of my turkeys have been killed with my Browning Silver. This year I decided my 870 would be used for turkey. Several years ago, I bought a new barrel with screw in choke tubes, but the full choke patterns were pitiful so I got a Primos turkey choke from my son. The patterns are great now!
Today's opening day here in Iowa and I was in my blind an hour before sunrise hunting a small public area. Way early I only heard one gobble, but I have had good luck in this spot many years, so I was confident. Two hens came by and left. At 8:30 I had to get out to relieve myself and that's when he gobbled on the other side of my blind, maybe 80 yards away. Four fast gobbles! I got back inside and called once just to give him sound to key in on. I spotted that red head coming through some thick stuff and was ready when stepped into the open at 30 yards. Boom! And now my Wingmaster has turkey to its credit too!
Sorry no picture here, but spurs a little over one inch and 11 1/4 inch beard.

The Baron

That's sweet.  The ol' 870 can do it all.  :icon_thumright:
"I don't hunt turkeys cause I want to; I hunt turkeys cause I have to."  – Tom Kelly

renegade19

Gooserbat

All my turkeys except one were victims of the 870.  That first bird was with a n old JC Higgins mod 20.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

stinkpickle

And THAT'S why you should just pee in the blind.   ;)

wvmntnhick

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 19, 2017, 09:18:39 PM
What if he has to relieve himself in another fashion? That'd make things interesting I'm betting.

stinkpickle

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 19, 2017, 09:32:53 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on April 19, 2017, 09:18:39 PM
What if he has to relieve himself in another fashion? That'd make things interesting I'm betting.

Some birds are worth it.