turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

5 Two Year Olds

Started by rifleman, April 17, 2017, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

Went out in WV this morning and heard gobbling in the distance and made my way over to the bird.  Turns out there were 5 2 year olds together.  One went down and the others pounded him.  I have not seen that many together before.  Makes me curious as to why so many are ganged up.   

turkeyfeathers

In NY we still have a few winter flocks roaming about that haven't split.

Marc

Silly question...  How do you know they were two-year olds?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

rifleman

Marc,  i presumed they were because the one I took was a 2 year old and my buddy shot one and his was as well.  I based the 2 year old on the fact that their spurs were not all that well formed.  I have taken long spurred birds on this section of the mt. before.

Number17

That's not unusual at all around here.
The most I ever saw together during the season was 11.
7 longbeards and 4 jakes all chasing around the same 3 hens.

Last year at the end of the season I shot an old bird with 1 3/8" spurs. There were 5 gobblers together around a single hen. All of them were big bearded birds, but I shot the one I did because he was the bully during a little scuffle they all had. When the dust cleared he was the only one left walking around cocky with a white head.......so he got dusted.
Couldn't tell you with any certainty how old the other birds were.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Fl strutter

Opening day here in North florida me and my buddy had 7 longbeards, 6 jakes, and about 25 hens come right by us and we doubled up.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 18, 2017, 08:15:27 AM
Opening day here in North florida me and my buddy had 7 longbeards, 6 jakes, and about 25 hens come right by us and we doubled up.
I'll never see that in NY for sure. Congrats.