OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting Sticks

Started by Rzrbac, April 16, 2017, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

Anybody use a shooting stick for turkey hunting.  I have been using one for several years after shattering my left elbow and having it reconstructed twice. 

I have cheap one that has 3 joints that telescope. It fits in my easy enough.  I feel like it has helped me quite a bit over the years as my left arm is not as functional as it was prior to my injury.

For those that use them, what kind are you using and what are the pros and cons you have experienced.

2eagles

Mines a Primos that grows and gets shorter by squeezing a handle. It works well in my blind if I take it along, but it is more thing to carry. It is too long to use if I'm sitting in my gobbler lounger or on the ground, but then I rest my gun on my knee.

Bowguy

We use them on the disabled vet, youth n women in outdoors events at the refuge. I'm not sure the type but they help. I can't be personally bothered carrying them. I've got enough already but could see how it might help

coonhunter

I use a set for my little boy.  I made them out of old tobacco sticks "cut down to length".  Drilled a hole 4" down from top and bolted them together so the scissor apart.  Then you just lay the gun in the "V".  Narrower if you need them taller and wider if you need them shorter.  Don't have a dime in them!  Work great!

Joshua 24:15

MK M GOBL

I have a few, from a Primos Short Tripod Trigger Stick, a couple of Bog Pod Tripods and then a Caldwell Tree Pod that we made a mod to.

They all have there place, in the blind, on the ground or need on to totally hold the gun.

MK M GOBL

Number17

I've been using them for years. No idea what the brand is, but the legs twist and telescope to length with a deep "v" notch at the top.

It allows me to sit absolutely motionless with my legs extended flat to the ground. I'm far more comfortable sitting in a reclined position compared to scrunching my knees up to my chest.
I have the bipod set so it's angling back towards my body for two reasons.

1. It keeps pressure back into my shoulder so that I don't have to hold the gun at all.

2. If a Gobbler comes in at an odd angle or behind me, all I need to do is lift the gun slightly and let the bipod fall back towards me. This frees the gun up so I can swing and shoot.

I've had lots of people tell me they don't use a bipod because they wouldn't be able to swing and shoot because the bipod limits your movement. You just have to think about what you're doing out there. I've never missed a shot at a bird because of my bipod, and there is no doubt I've killed some birds with it that I otherwise probably would have screwed up on. The bipod allows you to be more comfortable, and comfortable equals patience, and patience equals dead longbeards.

As for being one more thing to carry, I fold it up straight and use it for a walking stick or to push briars out of the way with the flat end. It is an asset at all times for me.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

J.D. Shellnut

I bought one last year but never got a chance to use it. I've used it three times this year and love it. Ill leave my vest before I leave it now! lol
60% of the time it works every time!

jwright8

Primos trigger stick is hard go beat

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

AR Cowboy

I imagine your situation is quite different OP, given your physical limitations- my  :z-twocents: is that they tend to put you at a bad shooting angle when you are leaned up against a tree.

kyturkeyhunter4

I love my primos shooting stick, hard to beat them.

mspaci

I made one from an old wood hockey stick for deer hunting. Havent used it for Turkey. It doubles as a walking stick too. Mike

Poleaxe

This is a post of mine from a different forum that may be helpful.

Quote from: PoleaxeSo with turkey season coming and my 7yr old son needing a rest to shoot off of I didn't want the weight of the field pod hauling around. I searched and found this inexpensive guide gear tripod and wanted to compare the two.

Height
FP 20-42
GG 16.5-42

FP Pivots and rotates entire gun
GG V-rest for stock or barrel

Weight
FP 5lbs
GG 1.38lbs

Price
FP $75-85
GG $29

I like how the GG tips of the legs pivot on uneven ground and even has a level on it.