OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Glad I didn't take TL's advice and sleep in! 18 3/4 inches of beard  (Read 3434 times)

Offline darn2ten

• The Boss Gobbler
Well as bad as I wanted to sleep in I decided to get up and get after them. The place I went to is a spot I've had my butt handed to me before. Though there's no way to know for sure I believe I got redemption this morning. Last year in this exact same spot I had a silent gobbler slip in on me and never knew it until I decided to move and got busted. Well this year about a week ago l had almost the exact same thing happen! This morning I decided to move about 60 yards off the flat on top of the ridge where my misfortune kept happening. It was pretty silent this morning except for a few distant roost gobbles. I decided to give it a go and only called sparingly. I had been there about 45 minutes and only called maybe 3 times. I was actually nodding off when all the sudden a booming gobble came from the flat I'd been busted on before. I gave 3 soft yelps and he fired back. That was enough for me as I knew he had me pin pointed and I didn't want him to hang up on the flat and just gobble. He did gobble about 3 or 4 more times and the went silent. After about 10 minutes I could here him drumming pretty good and knew he was closing in. He ended up coming in from my left and kind of surprised me at about 15 yards. It almost went bad because right when he popped out he must have caught on to me too. He putted and started a jog away from me. He made the mistake of running straight away and the LB 5's caught him in the back of the head at about 25 yards. Ended up having 3 beards, a 10", 6 1/4", and a 2 1/2".  I was sure enough thankful and glad to have him after a slow start to the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:39:10 AM by darn2ten »

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Glad I didn't take TL's advice and sleep in! 18 3/4 inches of beard
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:42:48 AM »
Man that's awesome!!!!

Offline TNTRKYHunter

Glad I didn't take TL's advice and sleep in! 18 3/4 inches of beard
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »
Congrats darn2ten!! Heckuva bird. Redemption is sweet.

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
Glad I didn't take TL's advice and sleep in! 18 3/4 inches of beard
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »
That is an awesome bird! Congratulations
Heck of an upgrade!
Great story to!

Offline callaway71

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
Awesome bird! Congrats! I've only killed one double beard and his main beard had rot. Lol  Hopefully one day I'll be able to kill a great bird like this one.

Offline darn2ten

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
Awesome bird! Congrats! I've only killed one double beard and his main beard had rot. Lol  Hopefully one day I'll be able to kill a great bird like this one.
It's the area. Lincoln Co. just produces a lot of multi beard birds. I've probably killed around a dozen with more than one, 2 of them had 4. I'd say at least half of them were 2 year olds. Just the luck of where I hunt, lol. One area I used to hunt my buddies nor I ever killed one or heard of anybody that did.