Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Didn't think it was going to happen....

Started by callaway71, April 15, 2017, 11:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callaway71

Ky opener started out terrible. Listened to a gobbler get limb lifted at 6:53. Heard the thud when it hit the ground. Then they shot three more times. Not sure if they killed another one. Everything went quiet after that. Moved about 30 minutes later to the other side of the property. Set out the decoys and called. Faint gobble but good sign. Few minutes later I heard some hens. First thought was someone calling except it was getting closer. Two hens show up and skirt me. Then I see some deer and three more turkeys from the direction the hens came. Ended up being jakes. They came straight to the decoys and flogged my jake. While they stood around six more jakes show up. So nine jakes are attacking my decoy. The gobbler gobbled again. It wasn't closing the distance. Figured the jakes kept him away. Finally moved when I had enough of the jakes. My setup and the three jakes....

Went back to the first location and called....nothing. My son and I had a haircut at noon so I checked out another property this afternoon. Saw two hens and heard a gobbler but he never came. After a few hours I decided to head back to were I started this morning. As I was walking to my destination I caught movement ahead in the field. Two hens were feeding. Then I saw the gobbler. Crawled to a tree and threw the decoys out about 7 yds in front. I called and saw the gobbler breaking from the hens. He was heading to the fencerow that seperates the properties. When he crossed over he was in our field but looked to be staying in the field. I'm about 25 yds in the woods. When he got almost behind me I purred. He looked up and headed in but sort of away from me. Had a big tree he was going behind so I purred again and drew the bow. He came trotting in as soon as he saw the jake. 15 yd shot and he flew off. About hundred yds he drops out of the air stone dead. When it happens it happens fast. Shot him about 5:40. I'm a little disappointed in his weight. These agriculture birds usually weigh around 25lbs.

darn2ten

Cool! Of all the turkeys I've killed not a single one with a bow. I've always said I was going to try it, but just never have. Congrats!

TNTRKYHunter

That's awesome. Especially with a bow. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Lead

Awesome story
Congratulations!
Hats off to you shooting a bow without a tent. Very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

reflexl

Getting it done with a bow and no blind is beyond awesome! Huge congrats!

callaway71

Thanks guys. I usually kill a couple birds with the bow each year. I've killed them with and without the blind. One thing I've noticed is you can get away with enough movement to draw when the gobbler is focused on the decoy.