Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NW Nebraska Archery Success (With Video)

Started by NorfolkHunter, April 14, 2017, 11:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkHunter

A week ago today I was heading home from an archery turkey hunt in NW Nebraska.

A group of us from Ontario Canada have hunted Nebraska in the past but in the North Eastern part of the state. This year we wanted to try something different. After a bit of research we settled on North Western Nebraska. After a 20 hour drive we found ourselves among the buttes and Ponderosa Pine of NW NE. What an amazing place to hunt turkeys. The scenery, wildlife and the local people in the area made this trip. Shooting a bird with my bow was just the cherry on top.

Day 1 was used for scouting and trying to find some birds. After a bunch of driving in the area. We finally found some sign of turkey movement on public ground. Flocks were being seen but on private land.

Day 2 we hunted on the public ground where we saw tracks the day before. By mid morning I had located a flock of birds that were spread out between public and the neighboring private land. I had to learn a couple things when hunting here. 1. The elevation change made a huge difference in navigating the terrain. (The elevation difference impacted ones conditioning).  2. Birds would sound like they should be right infront of you but they were still 1/2 mile away.

After watching these birds from a distance I broke out the public land maps and made a plan on where I would go to try and hunt these mountain birds.

Blind Location

Day 3 Weather was less than desirable. We were met with mixed precipitation and the birds didn't want to co-operate in the morning. We went back to our camp for lunch. As we headed out for the afternoon hunt, just as we were getting close to my drop off spot. We noticed a small group of birds heading towards where my blind was setup. As quick as I could get up the hill I tried to get ahead of them. Unfortunately the birds beat me there and I had to watch 2 nice toms with a small group of hens walk within shooting distance of my blind.

Picture of 2 Toms going past before I could get to my blind.

Picture of the terrain from the top of a butte. This is overlooking the place that I killed my bird.

Day 4 Things finally came together. The plan of where to be and to be patient paid off. I just love the look of these Merriam's turkeys.

Link to video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a-HjmLMp_E&t=12s

kyturkeyhunter4

fallhnt

Congrats....the beauty of the area and early archery season is what drew my friend and I  to that part of the state in 2000. It is only a 14 hr. drive for me. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

SteelerFan

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

dirtnap

I just left from there myself.  It is a 26 hour ride for me.  I took my son for youth season.  It was a real good time.

Nice bird.

husker

Congrats!  I live in the eastern part of Nebraska, but the area you were in is beautiful!

Improvinghunter101

Congrats on the bird!  Merriam's are beautiful!

Dr Juice

TauntoHawk

Just got back from the Valentine, NE area and it's going to be tough to not make the 24hr drive every year had a blast hunting out there.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CDNduckslayer

Congrats on a beauty turk, Merriam's is next on my list, just don't know when I'll be able to make the trek, hopefully in the next couple years.

Lucky_Strutter

The Great White Spur Hunter

Tomfoolery

Congrats on a fine bird. Im on the road right now in oshkosh neb headed north towards the black hills. Hoping to get my first merriams.

turkeyfoot

heading in that direction from NC this coming week can't wait all we need is some decent weather