OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 Yard Patterns

Started by allaboutshooting, April 13, 2017, 04:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Several years ago I did a good bit of research on the effect of different designs of turkey chokes on 20 yard patterns. it turns out that a well designed choke can have a very tight exit diameter and another well designed choke can have a much more open exit diameter and both throw similar patterns at 20 yards.

Rather than try to recount all that, here's a link to the article and within that article is a link to 2 very interesting pictures.
https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98769351-20-yard-patterns

I hope this helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SteelerFan

Interesting! As usual, thanks for sharing that Clark!!

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

allaboutshooting

I appreciate the positive comments. I recalled this article from several years ago because it a subject that seems to arise on a pretty regular basis. It is possible with a well designed choke tube and the proper shell to have patterns that are more like a basketball or volleyball at 20 yards and still have a good core pattern that will take them out to 40 yards.

Unfortunately, the emphasis in the last several years, has been on "long-range" shooting. The competition for consumer dollars has prompted manufacturers to position their marketing to that segment and that frankly, is not good for the sport, and very detrimental to the wild turkey. We have spent several decades reintroducing wild turkeys to their once native habitats. We spent several decades educating turkey hunters to safe and ethical hunting practices as well. Now, I fear, we've turned another page and made the kill more important than enjoying the sport.

in the 20th Century, we almost wiped-out the wild turkey with market hunting and no bag limits. It took decades, many dollars and much work to get turkey populations back up to huntable numbers. I would hope that we'd not see those numbers depleted in a generation.

It will take responsible hunters, who remember that it's a sport and not a contest for the longest shot that we're all interested in achieving. I hope that we'll all work at perfecting our skills and that includes calling them in to 20-25 yards for a good clean shot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SteelerFan

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 14, 2017, 06:21:16 PM
I appreciate the positive comments. I recalled this article from several years ago because it a subject that seems to arise on a pretty regular basis. It is possible with a well designed choke tube and the proper shell to have patterns that are more like a basketball or volleyball at 20 yards and still have a good core pattern that will take them out to 40 yards.

Unfortunately, the emphasis in the last several years, has been on "long-range" shooting. The competition for consumer dollars has prompted manufacturers to position their marketing to that segment and that frankly, is not good for the sport, and very detrimental to the wild turkey. We have spent several decades reintroducing wild turkeys to their once native habitats. We spent several decades educating turkey hunters to safe and ethical hunting practices as well. Now, I fear, we've turned another page and made the kill more important than enjoying the sport.

in the 20th Century, we almost wiped-out the wild turkey with market hunting and no bag limits. It took decades, many dollars and much work to get turkey populations back up to huntable numbers. I would hope that we'd not see those numbers depleted in a generation.

It will take responsible hunters, who remember that it's a sport and not a contest for the longest shot that we're all interested in achieving. I hope that we'll all work at perfecting our skills and that includes calling them in to 20-25 yards for a good clean shot.

Thanks,
Clark

Amen...

the Ward

I really enjoyed experimenting with chokes and loads to get my guns shooting tight patterns at 40 yards. But I have come to the conclusion that since I can't hardly bring myself to pull the trigger on one further than 35, I'm going to start using my more open patterning setups. They still will work at 40 if I misjudge a little, but be a lot more forgiving up close, where I make most of my shots at.

penna shooter

Thanks for sharing...Well done. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

Old Gobbler

Clark thanks again for the good post , but even more for lending some big picture on what is quickly going on with turkey populations nationwide

The Current fad of extreeme long range shooting of turkeys will eventually destroy turkey populations and with it everything we could ever remember of what turkey hunting used to be like

There's a reason why hunting shooting turkeys with a rifle is unlawful just about everywhere. .....but why is it that folks quietly tolerate that others developed shotgun shell handloads  that have been touted to bop turkeys double the range of a modern turkey gun .......

Long range shooting turkeys is  like steriods in sports , players just wanna win at any price  ......steroids ruined Olympic sports .....the tour de france is a joke .....

The question is,  will turkey populations and hunting as we know it be nothing but a distant memory one day due the actions or lack of preventative actions we should have taken today ?

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Strutr

Well said, Clark.  Sadly, too many hunters consider a hunt to be successful only if they make a kill.  This is part of the reason why long range shooting has gotten so much interest of late.  IMHO, the whole experience is infinitely more rewarding and exciting when calling a gobbler in close.

chatterbox

Well said, my friend.
People who feel that the kill is more important than the hunt, are the ones who want these long range killing patterns.
If you feel your calling won't get a bird to acceptable killing distances, how about working on your setup and your calling skills?
Those that want to kill a turkey at crazy long ranges are missing the entire essence of turkey hunting, and I feel very sorry for them.
For me, when a bird cuts off my calling, and he's getting so close, I can hear the spitting and drumming, my heart starts racing.......
When you're can hear him walking through the woods, and his gobble blows off your hat, and you swear to God, he can hear your heart beating in your chest, and your breathing starts picking up....
Nothing can replace that, least of all being a 60+ yard kill shot.

greencop01

Well said Clark. Many people lack in woodmanship, calling ability and just a lack of knowledge of the Wild Turkey. They use long range shooting to make up for this. Sometimes a smart bird lives for another day and you got to tip your hat to him. Good post, thanks Clark. :icon_thumright:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!