turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" 20ga or 2 3/4" 12ga??

Started by coonhunter, April 13, 2017, 05:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhunter

:z-flirtysmile3:So I'm not new to the hunting game by no means.  I just got my son a 870 youth 20 ga. So it got me to thinking from a turkey hunting perspective which would be better a 3" 20 ga or a heavy 2 3/4" 12 ga load. Say both are #6 shot.  The payloads are the the same but would the tighter bore 20 ga pattern tighter since the shot string would be more long than wide??  Just thinking of a light gun to possibly get in the future. Thanks!
Joshua 24:15

1iagobblergetter

The 870 20g. Youth is a great turkey gun if you do your homework. Go Blue dogs!!!  :you_rock:

Gooserbat

The 20.  I've seen what can be done with Fed HW 7 and tss.  I'm likely done with the 12 ga.  The 20 is lighter, easier to carry, and more convenient to pass of to a kid for a morning hunt. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Strick9

Though for a youth the 20 is nice especially for a little feller what might mind the extra weight. However I am of the opinion that the 12 will allow for more versatility moving forward as a young man grows up.

LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 13, 2017, 08:23:20 AM
The 20.  I've seen what can be done with Fed HW 7 and tss.  I'm likely done with the 12 ga.  The 20 is lighter, easier to carry, and more convenient to pass of to a kid for a morning hunt.

x10. it has been proven that a 20ga with the right load is just as deadly as the 12ga and some loads are superior to any 12ga factory turkey loads . energy , penetration and patterns fed hvy 7's and tss produce are bad medicine for a bird on the receiving end.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Strutr

Obviously, 20 guage guns will kill turkeys so that's not an issue.  You can theorize all day long about the 20's taller shot column and whether it produces longer shot strings, more shot deformation, etc., but today's specialty turkey loads are designed to minimize those concerns.  If you check out the patterns some of these 20 guage load/choke combos are achieving, what's not to like?

You should assess your personal goals.  If you are recoil-sensitive, the 20 in a gas autoloader may be a good choice.  However, you must also consider that your new 20 may weigh less than your old 12 so you might not achieve as much recoil reduction as you hoped.  If weight reduction is your goal, a 20 guage gun is one option. 

Pattern density has always been my number one criteria in selecting a turkey gun and loads so I will probably always stay with a 12 due to the heavier payloads available.  A few years back, I decided that I was tired of lugging an 8-9 lb autoloader around the turkey woods since nearly every turkey I've killed has fallen to one shot.  I accomplished my weight reduction goal by purchasing a 6.25 lb TC Encore in 12 guage.  It's a specialty gun for turkey and deer and is definitely not for those who require follow-up shots or are recoil-sensitive.  However, it is very compact, a real pleasure to carry, and turkeys and deer hate it. 

If you're just trying to shave weight, maybe consider a single?   

reynolds243

Quote from: Strick9 on April 13, 2017, 08:27:06 AM
Though for a youth the 20 is nice especially for a little feller what might mind the extra weight. However I am of the opinion that the 12 will allow for more versatility moving forward as a young man grows up.

not really true actually.  with todays ammo and choke manufactures for the 20 gauge you can properly set up one now that will pattern as well as a 12 and if you load TSS (which is easy) it will FAR surpass a standard 12 gauge set up in versatility and shot density. I will put my M2 20 shooting TSS against any 12 gauge out there especially if using factory loads and lead.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: reynolds243 on April 13, 2017, 12:49:34 PM
Quote from: Strick9 on April 13, 2017, 08:27:06 AM

not really true actually.  with todays ammo and choke manufactures for the 20 gauge you can properly set up one now that will pattern as well as a 12 and if you load TSS (which is easy) it will FAR surpass a standard 12 gauge set up in versatility and shot density. I will put my M2 20 shooting TSS against any 12 gauge out there especially if using factory loads and lead.

amen brother. the problem is there are alot of folks who have not researched tss loads to find out that a 20ga tss load is superior to any factory 12ga turkey load including 3-1/2" heavyweights. most just think 12 ga is bigger so it has to be better. shoot what you want , but do not think a 12ga turkey gun is superior to a 20ga. because with todays progress it just is not true.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

guesswho

I was hesitant about getting in the 20 train.  Took me forever to put the 10 down and go with a 12 and a 20 wasnt even a thought.   But I made the switch this year to a 20 but have my 12 ready to go at any moment just in case the 20 deal wasn't working out to my expectations.   But now after seeing what the 20 does my 12 is fixing to be permanent cabinet buddies with my 12. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WyoHunter

I agree.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Greg Massey

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 13, 2017, 06:44:05 PM
x3

owlhoot

Add
Quote from: Greg Massey on April 13, 2017, 08:53:35 PM
Quote from: WyoHunter on April 13, 2017, 06:44:05 PM
x3

X4