OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weird reaction to hen decoy.

Started by birdman561, April 12, 2017, 01:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman561

I had a buddy who was using a upright hen decoy. And what I assume was the dominate hen came up and strutted. Then she proceeded to fly in the tree above him and purr and cluck for the next 20 minutes. Any of you see this and why do you think she did that?

Spitten and drummen

I have seen alot of strange behavior from wild turkeys. Simple answer is its a turkey being a turkey. Lots of things they do with no ryme or reason.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Agree, it's just turkeys being turkeys...no reason...

RussM311

Had  hen stroll out of a swamp and right up to my hen decoy....  never made a sound...  semi-strutted (puffed up a bit)  and then proceeded to stomp....kick....peck and overall just whip my decoys butt....  She ripped holes in the soft foam decoy... but was fun to watch....  Tough old gal..  :-))

TrackeySauresRex

Once I heard the worst gobble ever,absolutely Horrible! Almost thinking it wasn't even a turkey. I was in the ready position when this bird shows up and SHE tries to gobble again. Yep! It was a hen puffed up. Half strut trying to gobble. Strange for sure! One confused turkey
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

jed clampett

There's always something new in the world of turkeys..ya just never know...pretty cool !

Ericbrooks

I called in a hen last Saturday that could do a full strut just like a tom. No beard on her but she could strut with the best of them. Her yelp sounded pitiful too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkaholic

Must be that transgender thing moving into our innocent woodlands. :funnyturkey:
live to hunt hunt to live

beakbuster10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deast1988

I had a hen do two or 3 bluff charges at my upright decoy. She then ran 3 loops around the whole set up, she then started yelp, clucking this girl lost her mind. After all this she walked up pecked it, rocked it around on the stake a bit she then proceeded to putt her brains out but she never left the field she would scratch throw her head at the decoy an putt. Then go back to scratching she didn't like the decoys but a flock of birds was in the field it was coolest interaction I've ever witnessed. I was in a ground blind, watching the show an no way did I get spotted. But she was acting a fool for the hour she was in the field.