turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shooting a roosted turkey

Started by codym, April 12, 2017, 12:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codym

I was watching a youtube video last night while I was at the gym. These guys were hunting in Az, they killed a couple birds but one guy still had a tag he "NEEDED" to fill. These peckerheads snuck under this gobbler and then blasted him off the roost. It really bothered me. In NM it's illegal to shoot a roosted turkey and I guess I just assumed everywhere else in the country. This is like shooting an upland bird on the ground, just some things you don't do. I'm all for the hunt how you want if it's legal thing, but I just can't accept this even if it is legal. Sorry just had to vent I guess.

Gooserbat

It's legal in of all places, Missouri if it's legal shooting hour. I'll  I'll? be honest I did it once when I lived there.  About zero thrill or sense of accomplishment. Not really ashamed I did, it is legal, just not something I'd do again.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

taylorjones20

I've never killed one in the tree.  Had plenty of opportunities but never felt the need to.  To each his own I guess...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

LaLongbeard

Like a lot of things in this world roost shooting maybe legal but it ain't right.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

HawkeyeGobbler

Quote from: codym on April 12, 2017, 12:52:29 PM
This is like shooting an upland bird on the ground.

I've ditch pounded a few pheasants in my time and I've water swatted a duck here or there on a slow day. But even I would never limb jack a turkey lol.

Ozark870Hunter

Wonder what takes more skill?
Fanning/reaping a bird or roost blasting?
They're about equal in my book.
Never tried either here in MO.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Blong

Not sure about where y'all hunt but here in the south, sneaking under a roosted gobbler is equivalent to The Clinton's telling the truth.

codym

Our turkeys out here let you walk right under them, no skill involved what so ever. The guys on the video were all excited like they had just accomplished some grand hunting feat.

BottomLand54

I thought that's how you killed turkeys roost em the night before go in earlier shoot em off roost save money on calls, decoys, etc. Back home in no time to eat breakfast with the wife and go roost another one that evening after taking her to dinner.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

EKyhookr

Shooting birds off the roost is whack. Period. If you shoot birds off the roost you are not a hunter. It take zero skill. I will never do it neither will anyone I hunt with, if they do they will no longer hunt with me or any of my spots.

Brs2427

I have rarely gotten close enough to be within shooting distance of a turkey on the roost. I wouldn't shoot one out of the tree, but it sure is something special to watch them strut and gobble on a limb. Just a unique experience that not everyone gets to see.

Player

Bowguy

Just means the fellow ran out of man's options. Can't stand the unsportsmanlike conduct of some folks

dublelung

If it floats their boat and it's legal then more power to them. I don't care how someone else hunts just as they shouldn't care how I hunt. Keep it legal and enjoy your time in the woods.

grayfox

Legal or not that's just not what turkey hunting is about in my opinion.