turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Youth Season Success

Started by doublegobble, April 11, 2011, 11:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doublegobble

Well, everything came together for my son during youth season. It is a three day season from Friday to Sunday. We went out Friday morning and had the birds going nuts around us. Had a big bird at about 50 yards at one point but was interested in something else so walked on by. Then we had another gobbler and 2 jakes come out in the field but also had no interest in our setup so they moved on. We still had plenty of birds around us but work and school commitments kept us from staying any longer so we left. Saturday morning we were back in the same field in a different spot. Proved to be the right spot. Had 3 gobblers not far from where we were. They were gobbling like mad men. After flydown we had one strut over toward us, at about 50 yards behind us. He stayed there for about 45 minutes but wouldn't commit. Another came out in the field with 10 hens and passed at about 60 yards. Another came in through the one that was strutting behind us and stayed in the timber not offering a shot. Finally the one behind us made a move up the fenceline and out into the field. Problem was he stayed out in the 60 yard range and made his way to the other group in the field. As he was walking by I heard some more drumming. I looked back out the back of the blind and there was another gobbler right where he just left. I started to purr and he made his way up the fenceline to the blind. He was about 5 feet from the blind when he finally had a shot opportunity. Game over! Ended up being a nice bird, 22 lbs, 10 1/2" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. Just about blew his head off. I hooked the scale in his beak to weigh him and the head fell off.
Red meat isn't bad for you, fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Hognutz

Congrats to you and your son. Great story. I love when their heads fall off.. :fud: :newmascot: Well done, Boys..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

Quote from: Hognutz on April 11, 2011, 11:18:45 AM
Congrats to you and your son. Great story. I love when their heads fall off.. :fud: :newmascot: Well done, Boys..Mike

:agreed: :toothy12: :you_rock:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

bayou gobbler