OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Second bird down in CA.

Started by Dan Mallia, April 10, 2017, 11:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Mallia

A veteran turkey hunter shared some advice with me years ago when I was just starting to really hunt these birds. "A Tom that gobbles between 10 and 2 has a good chance of leaving the field with you."  Yesterday, aside from gobbles in the roost, I hadn't seen a bird or heard a gobble until 2:05. With a few calls back and forth, I was letting an arrow loose at 2:15.

Video: https://youtu.be/ZWv0Zam5hh8

Ishi

Nice bird and congrats! I visited the Ishi wilderness last year what a beautiful place it is. Sure would be fun to hunt turkeys in that area.
The Spirit Lives On

Strutr

Congrats, Dan, nice bird!  Those Bullheads really do a number on them.  What's your setup, bow, arrow, blind, etc.?

cramerhunts

Awesome stuff right there, congratulations.

Thunderbolt

Dan Mallia

Quote from: Strutr on April 13, 2017, 10:18:05 AM
Congrats, Dan, nice bird!  Those Bullheads really do a number on them.  What's your setup, bow, arrow, blind, etc.?

Thanks!

I'm using a Mathews Heli~M with a 125 grain Magnus Bullhead and the Victory arrow. I use the kit that Magnus offers (arrow/head) and have zero issues with that setup. I'm hunting out of a Double Bull blind.

Dan Mallia

Quote from: Ishi on April 13, 2017, 06:23:45 AM
Nice bird and congrats! I visited the Ishi wilderness last year what a beautiful place it is. Sure would be fun to hunt turkeys in that area.

I was hunting a drainage over from the Ishi Wilderness/Deer Creek drainage. Gorgeous country.

Ishi

Quote from: Dan Mallia on April 14, 2017, 09:02:36 PM
Quote from: Ishi on April 13, 2017, 06:23:45 AM

I was hunting a drainage over from the Ishi Wilderness/Deer Creek drainage. Gorgeous country.

Now I'm really jealous! The wilderness area was fantastic especially Black Rock and the Ishi memorial on the Narrows.
The Spirit Lives On