OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Second bird down in CA.  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Dan Mallia

• The Boss Gobbler
Second bird down in CA.
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:42:27 PM »
A veteran turkey hunter shared some advice with me years ago when I was just starting to really hunt these birds. "A Tom that gobbles between 10 and 2 has a good chance of leaving the field with you."  Yesterday, aside from gobbles in the roost, I hadn't seen a bird or heard a gobble until 2:05. With a few calls back and forth, I was letting an arrow loose at 2:15.

Video: https://youtu.be/ZWv0Zam5hh8

Offline Dan Mallia

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Second bird down in CA.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:46:14 PM »

Offline Ishi

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
Nice bird and congrats! I visited the Ishi wilderness last year what a beautiful place it is. Sure would be fun to hunt turkeys in that area.
The Spirit Lives On

Offline Strutr

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Congrats, Dan, nice bird!  Those Bullheads really do a number on them.  What's your setup, bow, arrow, blind, etc.?

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
Awesome stuff right there, congratulations.

Offline Thunderbolt

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »
Congrats sweet!

Offline Dan Mallia

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
Congrats, Dan, nice bird!  Those Bullheads really do a number on them.  What's your setup, bow, arrow, blind, etc.?

Thanks!

I'm using a Mathews Heli~M with a 125 grain Magnus Bullhead and the Victory arrow. I use the kit that Magnus offers (arrow/head) and have zero issues with that setup. I'm hunting out of a Double Bull blind.

Offline Dan Mallia

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »
Nice bird and congrats! I visited the Ishi wilderness last year what a beautiful place it is. Sure would be fun to hunt turkeys in that area.

I was hunting a drainage over from the Ishi Wilderness/Deer Creek drainage. Gorgeous country.

Offline Ishi

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »

I was hunting a drainage over from the Ishi Wilderness/Deer Creek drainage. Gorgeous country.

Now I'm really jealous! The wilderness area was fantastic especially Black Rock and the Ishi memorial on the Narrows.
The Spirit Lives On