OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What a the best sounding slate for eastern turkeys

Started by Fl strutter, April 09, 2017, 06:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

I hunt in North florida and would like to know what some of yall think is the best sounding slate for turkeys in the south. I've noticed that where I hunt the turkeys don't like a high pitched call. I had a new crystal mistress and they didn't like it so I sold it.

Bowguy

Kinda surprised they didn't like the mistress. How many birds you try it on? Also is your area humid? That can be tough on slate. Few slates I like are Hallorans laminate slate or Schafers red hen, some of Schafers newer slates, specially the spalted oak one I heard. I'm not a giant slate guy through but those are good calls

Fl strutter

Tried it a on several hunts without a answer. Each time I'd try a slate next and get a gobble.

wcerin

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

Bowguy

Quote from: Fl strutter on April 09, 2017, 06:55:28 PM
Tried it a on several hunts without a answer. Each time I'd try a slate next and get a gobble.
What kinda slate you using? If it's working you have the answer already

KentuckyHeadhunter

Turkeys sometimes don't respond to anything.  It's not the call or the call maker.  This year has been off for GA and parts of FL and the gobblers are being gobblers.  Stubborn and finicky.   Don't doubt your calls before you doubt your local activity.  Demography plays a huge role.  I've noticed this year VERY soft calling has worked better than hammering on various calls.  Any decent slate will work with the right time of season, time of day, and volume and cadence.  Don't scream at them.  Call them at the same volume.  Don't get disgruntled just keep learning from what works and what doesn't in different conditions, situations, and times of year.  Everything plays factor.  Its usually not your particular call it's your choice of HOW you are using it in specific instances.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Bowguy

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 09, 2017, 07:27:32 PM
Turkeys sometimes don't respond to anything.  It's not the call or the call maker.  This year has been off for GA and parts of FL and the gobblers are being gobblers.  Stubborn and finicky.   Don't doubt your calls before you doubt your local activity.  Demography plays a huge role.  I've noticed this year VERY soft calling has worked better than hammering on various calls.  Any decent slate will work with the right time of season, time of day, and volume and cadence.  Don't scream at them.  Call them at the same volume.  Don't get disgruntled just keep learning from what works and what doesn't in different conditions, situations, and times of year.  Everything plays factor.  Its usually not your particular call it's your choice of HOW you are using it in specific instances.
That's a very good post

scoot12

If you like a little deeper sounding slate,  Eddie Wynnes persimmon slate is flat out awesome.  I own about 30 to 40 custom slate calls and this is my favorate.  Scoot

Marc

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 09, 2017, 07:27:32 PM

This is a great post...

On a related note, when I started turkey hunting, I had a strong preference for a higher-pitched call, cause that is what it seemed to me that birds responded to.  (Note, I do not run a pot call very often, and this is a generalization of all calls).

In the current area I hunt, the last several years I developed a preference for deeper-toned calls, cause that is what birds have been responding to...

However, we have had several years of very poor hatches, and last year was apparently a very good hatch with a lot of young birds...   This year, birds are once again responding to higher-pitch calls.

I can only make the assumption that younger birds have a higher-pitch call, and with a lot of younger birds, that is the call that works this year...

As we hopefully have a couple of seasons with good hatches, it will be interesting to see which calls work better (as far as tone or pitch), and if that preference changes as the season progresses.

In the past, I have had days where birds respond to a certain call far better than other calls...  I always made the assumption, that on these days, I have found a call that sounds similar to some slutty hen that lives in the area...  Sometimes, it is a call that I do not think sounds all that great (to my ear), but the birds love it...  And the call that sounds dead on to me gets no response.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.