Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

To The Victor Goes The Spoils

Started by Tennessee Lead, April 08, 2017, 09:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

Today started off quite again and it's really puzzling me.
I tried something I'm not good at, that's just sitting for longer periods of time.
Since nothing gobbled on the roost I just stayed put in my listening perch and called a couple times.
After 45 minutes I couldn't take it so I eased farther out the ridge and set up again. I stayed for awhile and called some again.
Still haven't heard a bird so I decided to make my way to the spot I called in the first silent bird last Saturday.
I picked a different tree this time and got set up and called rather aggressive trying to fire one up.
I could barely hear the back end of a Gobble when I would stop calling.
I had a idea that the bird was in the bottom I was trying to pull one from last Saturday.
I tore out and got to top of the last ridge and called.
Immediately got an answer in the bottom of a different property and another on a ridge I had just passed by.
I can't set up on that bird on the ridge because our side is too narrow there.
I decided to try the bird who had been answering me that was in the bottom and he was a long way off.
It didn't take but two series on the Double Glass and he was heading my way. I'm set up just like last week where the bird can come from the other property across the line. After a little silence I was afraid to reach for my call and use it because I didn't know how close he had got.
I scratched in the leaves and he hammered. He was still 150 yards or so. Wasn't long I could hear him drumming and I could see him out the ridge briefly 125 yards strutting. Back and forth back and forth.
When he would go away I would call on my Mouth call he would answer every time and come back. I'd then scratch leaves.
This went on for 45 minutes starting at 9:00.
I'm beginning to think defeat is in my future again.
At 9:45 a different Gobble answered his Gobble under the hill. It sounded very weird and low pitched. Then the Gobble came from the top of the hill.
Ok maybe they will race each other to me.
Nope this second bird means business. He runs in and clotheslined this bird I've been working. I mean to tell you it was one more fight. They fit all over that point and down the other side. I ain't heard such a racket. It was something else. I could see the commotion when it first started they were up in the air and then rolling on the ground.
After a few minutes it got quite. I'm thinking well they have wore each other out and they ain't interested anymore.
I reached and got the Double Glass again. Boom double Gobble
The original bird was back towards the bottom and the intruder is closer to the top.
Hit him again and he gobbled again.
I coaxed him the rest of the way with my mouth call.
Suddenly I heard him drumming and he emerged from the timber in full Strut.
I broke nervous watching him close. He kept stopping and looking
80 70 60.....
He crossed the line in full Strut 37 yards and I couldn't stand it anymore I'm about to have a heart attack. The 6's hit him and he never twitched.
I had a feeling he was a mature bird and I rolled him over and I was very excited.
Finally killed a Limbhanger off this property.
21.8 pounds
1&5/16 spur
1&3/8 spur
8&3/4" beard.
I love how his Spurs curl

On the way to the truck I stopped and took some really cool pictures of him and found a good mess of Dryland Fish. Hard to beat a day like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNTRKYHunter

Congrats on a great bird! Awesome story. Beautiful pics. Way to hang in there with them.

reflexl

Great story! Those are the days that the reward actually equals the  work.

catman529

Congrats again on a heck of a bird

callaway71

Congrats on a great bird!  I've seen hens fight but not gobblers.

darn2ten

That's a man for sure! Sounds like a awesome hunt and great pics of that limbhanger. Congrats!

Tennessee Lead

Thanks team!