turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What would you have done?

Started by Hootin-N-Hammer, April 07, 2017, 10:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Typically all it takes is letting your presence be known.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Planner

Quote from: eggshell on April 07, 2017, 08:18:18 PM
Let me speak from the perspective of someone who has been shot turkey hunting and nearly died from my injuries;
It will be a cold day in hell when I let someone or even suspicion someone is near go unchallenged verbally. No dang turkey in the world is worth your health or life. Speak up and let it be known where you are. I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone. NEVER NEVER compromise safety for a chance at a bird.....I can tell you it is a sick feeling to think you'll never see your kids grow old or hug the Mrs. one more time or any number of other thoughts that go through your mind as you're fighting for your life!
Exactly. I had a new guy on our lease who's never turkey hunted before tell me it's none of my business where he hunted. I found it hard to believe but I had to explain that it was for safety. Never take for granted the mentality of other hunters out there. There's far too much to life than getting shot over a turkey. I'm glad you survived to tell your story. Thank you for the sober reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dublelung

Quote from: Marc on April 07, 2017, 08:55:16 PM
I deal with the prospect of poaching, and our duck club gets poached all the time...

So honest question here...  What do you do with a poacher once you catch him? Hold him at gun-point until the authorities get there?

Also, many guys poaching have far better reason to avoid law enforcement than a trespassing fine...

Not sayin' I would not want to catch them, but I honestly have no idea what I would do once I did catch them???

No you don't hold him at gun point. You don't point your gun at anyone you don't intend to kill and trespassing isn't a killable offense. Best thing you can do is whip out your phone/camera and take a picture of the trespasser or his vehicle and tag. Don't give them a verbal warning if you catch them. Press charges and word will get out that you mean business.

I had a couple very notorious poacher brothers boat to my side of the river several years ago. I heard their motor and knew immediately what they were up to so I gave them a little while then went that direction, I never did see them but I did find their tied boat on my side of the river. I don't know how hard it is to swim with a turkey vest and shotgun but they do.  ;D

spaightlabs

Call the sheriff or the fish and game folks.  Trespass is a law enforcement matter. 

renegade19

First, I'd have made sure they knew I was there and made it safe for everyone.  I'd have then informed them that they were across the line (like they didn't know).  Depending on their reaction, I'd have let it slide or called the law.  Safety would have been first in my mind.

Ihuntoldschool

Stayed quiet, you likely heard a hen or one of your lease buddies