OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What would you have done?

Started by Hootin-N-Hammer, April 07, 2017, 10:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootin-N-Hammer

Opening weekend in Georgia I was hunting our lease  in the middle of our property (about 700ac) and heard a shot that sounded like it was very close, within a few hundred yards, but I was the only person out there hunting. Immediately I assumed it was poachers so I pretty much ran to where I thought the shot came from, but by the time I got over there I couldn't find any sign of people or where a bird was shot. I have had a few sim cards disappear on this side of the property and pretty much know who is doing it, there are about 5 guys that hunt a little 60 acre sliver of woods that we share a property line with. ...Well, last weekend I had roosted 2 birds (in the same area where I thought the poachers shot) so I set up early determined to get one of these birds. He was hammering to everything, I gave him a few soft yelps and he cut me off so I shut up and patiently waited for him to fly down. About 15 minutes later I hear some more soft yelps and clucks about 50 yards behind me that sounded too clean and real for a live hen, they continued to call every few minutes. I tried looking where the calls were coming from but it was too thick to see. I debated getting up, blowing my hunt and confronting whoever was there but decided to stick it out since his calling was decent and it would probably work to my advantage as long as he didn't try to move in, but even then he would have to cross paths with me and I would catch him. So my question is would you have stayed quiet and try to kill the bird or blown the hunt and caught this guy red handed?

TauntoHawk

Well what happened with the bird you were work? when you got up was he still there? did you hear him leave, 50yds is pretty close I'd think you'd have heard him get up and walk off if he moved. I would be concerned a bit for safety if I had a bird infront and "hunter" 50yds behind me that sounds like a, this is how I got shot in the back story would start.

On the flip side I've been convinced of other hunters presence only to find out it was indeed a live hen multiple times. So I guess it would come down to how sure I was of it being another guy but I certainly would be uncomfortable with someone set up behind me on a bird.

I have been tight to roosted birds seen a flashlight coming and pretty much run through the woods to go give the guy the boot before his light got too close and slipped back. Figured running would sound more like an animal than a flashlight bobbing along and then our muffled voices if he got too close. Worked out fine I sent the guy packing and still got the birds to work in after fly down but my wife missed the bird. (no worries she killed a slammer a few hours later on another property)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gobble!

50 yards is pretty close. I would be nervous being between someone and a bird if they are only 50 yards behind me. Sounds like a good way to get shot. If I had a big tree to my back I would probably of let him work the bird for me and shot as soon as I could.

SteelerFan

I have zero tolerance for trespassing. If it means my hunt is done for the day if I can catch them, so be it. And 50 yds is TOO CLOSE to play games. If you are 100% sure its a hunter - use VERBAL communication.

It's a bird... NOT worth being shot over.

Hootin-N-Hammer

Well, the bird lit off in the complete opposite direction and shut up. I did think about the possibility of getting shot, but I was on the other side of a large oak and in between us was a bunch of very thick stuff. The only way he could have shot me was if he stepped out into the road in which I would have seen him. I just wanted to know if others thought it would be worth it to blow a hunt to potentially catch a poacher or let it ride

High plains drifter

Last year, there was some guy camped on the private ranch I was hunting on. I never did see this guy, but it bothered me because of safety concerns.

mspaci

I caught a guy last year. I walk up to him & he says( hey you blew my hunt there was a hen talking to me in there) I said hey dumb  it was me. I said you cant shoot hens & if I catch you here again you are going to the big house. Took name & back tag number etc. Mike

guesswho

When dealing with poachers, safety is always a big concern.  They obviously don't have the best decision making ability.   Not many hunters calling will fool me into thinking they're the real deal.   More turkeys fool me into thinking "person", than person making me think "turkey".   I would have blown the hunt and spoke in a loud voice several times before getting up and walking towards the yelping.   And I would have continued talking in a loud voice until I either found them or was sure I had scared them away. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Rzrbac

No tolerance for a trespasser. I've had enough problems with them on my little farm.  Had it been me I would have turned my attention to the trespasser if I was that certain. If I catch him it's gonna be bad day for him.

TauntoHawk

is it your personally owned land? I would leave a dozen birds to deal with a trespasser if it was my land. All of what I hunt that isn't public is by free permission and I wouldn't have any right other than to nicely ask them to leave or go talk to the land owner.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cottonmouth

Trespassing is pretty bad here in MS especially with young guys. They hear one hammering and they can't stand it. Gotta try it. I stop hunting to confront one even though I have limited to hunt. One of the few times I have used a decoy, I had some moron set up across the field from me with the decoys between us. When fat boy saw me coming,  he ran about 30 yds then tried to hide. I told him he looked like a round bale of hay laying there. The sad thing is he parked right beside me and he thought I was hunting across the road. I told him he didn't have permission to hunt there either. Got kinda ugly for a minute.

mtns2hunt

I have chased trespassers several times. The best cure is to be in there at different times and hide your cameras so you can get their picture. I also have had issues with them parking at the gate and shooting out into the feild. Heard one drive to the gate this past fall and park. Did not feel like climbing out of my stand. Anyway shot a very nice buck and a smaller one half hour later. Heard the truck start up and he got out of dodge at a very high rate of speed. Surprise is the best strategy.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

mgm1955

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 07, 2017, 11:34:59 AM
I have zero tolerance for trespassing. If it means my hunt is done for the day if I can catch them, so be it. And 50 yds is TOO CLOSE to play games. If you are 100% sure its a hunter - use VERBAL communication.

It's a bird... NOT worth being shot over.
[/quote
:agreed: :agreed:

eggshell

Let me speak from the perspective of someone who has been shot turkey hunting and nearly died from my injuries;
It will be a cold day in hell when I let someone or even suspicion someone is near go unchallenged verbally. No dang turkey in the world is worth your health or life. Speak up and let it be known where you are. I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone. NEVER NEVER compromise safety for a chance at a bird.....I can tell you it is a sick feeling to think you'll never see your kids grow old or hug the Mrs. one more time or any number of other thoughts that go through your mind as you're fighting for your life!

Marc

I deal with the prospect of poaching, and our duck club gets poached all the time...

So honest question here...  What do you do with a poacher once you catch him?  Hold him at gun-point until the authorities get there?

Also, many guys poaching have far better reason to avoid law enforcement than a trespassing fine...

Not sayin' I would not want to catch them, but I honestly have no idea what I would do once I did catch them???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.