OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strutting Gobbling Hens

Started by TauntoHawk, April 07, 2017, 09:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I know we have discussed this before and even talked about it back when Lovett had his Q&A section here. I've seen Hens strut a few times and heard a hen try and gobble once but this is the best video I've ever seen of the phenomenon so I thought I would share. Enjoy, the fun stuff starts on the second half of the video at 13:56 is the first hen gobble. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wurdoUlwh10

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

Yep, pretty cool.  I've never seen a wild hen gobble but have seen one strut in a field and five or six more ran about 200 yards straight to her. Then she unfolded and walked off with all of them.   I have seen a semi wild (wild stock) hen gobble on many occasions.   

Unlike the last video I saw on here of gobbling hens posted by a supposed experienced veteran turkey hunter  ::), this video shows an actual hen gobbling. And not a dozen jakes.  Thanks for posting.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

Quote from: guesswho on April 07, 2017, 10:06:52 AM
Yep, pretty cool.  I've never seen a wild hen gobble but have seen one strut in a field and five or six more ran about 200 yards straight to her. Then she unfolded and walked off with all of them.   I have seen a semi wild (wild stock) hen gobble on many occasions.   

Unlike the last video Insaw on here of gobbling hens posted by a supposed experienced veteran turkey hunter  ::), this video shows an actual hen gobbling. And not a dozen jakes.  Thanks for posting.

Haha yeah Jakes are known to occasionally gobble, I know crazy but true

Last week over on Archery talk someone posted asking about how common multi bearded birds and bearded hens are, I posted some stuff about about multi beards, bearded hens, and even multi spurred or no spur gobblers... I was followed by a man who stated "all the hens in PA have beards (posts trail cam pictures of jakes)

That's when I realized it was time to leave the archery deer hunting forum or stop talking turkeys  :OGturkeyhead:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

:TooFunny:
Didn't you all turkeys have beards when they hatch.   Most hens shed them within their first year.   Some hold them on up into their second or third year.   Multi beards are from an overly aggressive egg turning hen.  She is constantly turning the eggs which in turn doesn't give the beard gene a good chance to settle in one spot.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dr Juice

That's awesome. Great video. Thx.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Treerooster on April 07, 2017, 10:33:00 AM
There was a discussion on this subject that5 got started on another thread. It started on page 3.

Here is a link to pg 3 on that thread.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,67882.30.html

Arron Warbrritten the does Spring Thunder website and he showed a hen strutting on one of his videos. He said she drummed too if I remember right. Can't remember which vid it was tho.

I have never heard a hen gobble, Seen hens "posture" plenty of times and I do think I saw a hen actually, what I would call strut, once.

Yes, I'm not denying its uncommon but there is always that one guy that flat out doesn't believe you because he hasn't seen it happen. I think this video was some of the best proof and audio of both instances so I thought I would share.

MK M GOBL

Never seen a gobble but have seen a few hens strut.

She looks like a "mini" in these pics :)

MK M GOBL

SteelerFan

I've seen it 1 time in 33 spring seasons. Probably 8? years ago... in Pennsylvania. Hen came in to 20 yds, 1/2 - 3/4 strut and gobbled, several times. If i hadn't been the one sitting there and watching, I wouldn't have believed me!

Maybe she identified more with the male species... not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;)

TauntoHawk

I've always been of the mind I'd never shoot a hen, no interest in a bearded hen where legal spring or fall. But if a bearded hen came in strutted AND gobbled I'd be half tempted to take it and mount the she sucker in a strut pose lol

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Treerooster on April 07, 2017, 11:24:56 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 07, 2017, 11:01:08 AM
Quote from: Treerooster on April 07, 2017, 10:33:00 AM
There was a discussion on this subject that5 got started on another thread. It started on page 3.

Here is a link to pg 3 on that thread.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,67882.30.html

Arron Warbrritten the does Spring Thunder website and he showed a hen strutting on one of his videos. He said she drummed too if I remember right. Can't remember which vid it was tho.

I have never heard a hen gobble, Seen hens "posture" plenty of times and I do think I saw a hen actually, what I would call strut, once.

Yes, I'm not denying its uncommon but there is always that one guy that flat out doesn't believe you because he hasn't seen it happen. I think this video was some of the best proof and audio of both instances so I thought I would share.

I agree with you completely. I just posted the link because I thought it would add to your thread. And I mentioned the Spring Thunder vid because hens will drum too. I would look for that vid but no time now...gotta leave in a few hours to hook up with a guy for a week or so of some turkey hunting.  :toothy12:

I have never witnessed it but I believe it happens.

Thanks for the share I enjoyed it because I've been met with equal amounts of criticism before

supremepredator

Maybe she identifies as a gobbler.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

mgm1955

Great video. Had one strutting and continually doing a fighting purr 15 yards away last year for 25 minutes. Didn't gobble (too bad) but did drag in 2 longbeards to their demise!

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

That's cool, I've saw one strut before and purr aggressively. Never heard one gobble though.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Tomfoolery

Anyone have a video where u can hear a tom drumming? Ive heard a few do it in real life but never actually heard it on a video. I try to explain it to ppl that have never heard it.