OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossburg 835 choke

Started by hotrod26, April 06, 2017, 07:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod26

I currently have a Star Dot choke in my 835. Wondering if the Carlson Longbeard xr choke is a better choke. I am shooting Winchester double X 3" #5.

wvhunter74

dirt road ninja

Anything in the 675 - 680 range  should be adequate with those shells. The kicks GT would be my 1st Choice if I was buying a new choke for that load.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bbcoach

The Stardot is a Great choke in the 835 with just about any load.  As others have stated, the 835 loves chokes in the .670-.680 range.  The Stardot .676 is at the top of this list.  I would stick with the Stardot as well. 

gobbler74

Stardot or Indian Creek .675 if you have one don't need the other.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Phire Phite

Better for patterns or quality?  I thought for the 835, the Star Dot was about "it"

vt35mag

Stick with the stardot.
I tried the carlsons longbeard  choke in mine and it didn't outperform the stardot.

davisd9

Better shells will give you better results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hotrod26

What is meant by the statement: Better shells will give you better results?

Phire Phite

Quote from: hotrod26 on April 08, 2017, 09:31:49 PM
What is meant by the statement: Better shells will give you better results?

I think the "Double X" shells are "old in technology" so to speak than some of the newer shells.  I believe that's a pretty old one.  Something like the Hevi 7's or Magnum Blends, even the Long Beards have  better permance and numbers.  That being said, that "old technology" stuff worked for decades. 

That's my take on it.   But you only asked if it was a better choke.  I think most would say stick with the stardot. :z-twocents:

owlhoot

Star dot .
Grey box xx or black box xx supreme?
You may try different shells for better performance rather than buying chokes.
In my opinion you have THE choke for an 835/935 already.