OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pick me a chair

Started by KYHeadhunter02, April 05, 2017, 08:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I've never used one, but this year I'm unzipping my foam pad from my vest. Low profile is ideal, and of course weight is important. I don't need a recliner. The chepaper the better, but I know you usually get what you pay for. :turkey2:

Phire Phite

The gobbler lounger is pretty comfy.  Can be a bit tougher to twist around.  Whalemart and Dicks both have one.  $20-25 I believe.

SteelerFan

The only one I've tried:

Browning Camping 8525014 Strutter Folding Chair (Regular) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PIRAYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZTB5ybHN1B75J

But I give it 5 stars...

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Phire Phite on April 05, 2017, 09:55:33 PM
The gobbler lounger is pretty comfy.  Can be a bit tougher to twist around.  Whalemart and Dicks both have one.  $20-25 I believe.

X2  I have 2 of them, like them alot
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

KYHeadhunter02

Have any idea what it weighs steeler? I can't find it in the description.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on April 06, 2017, 12:09:29 AM

Nm...midway days 7lbs. The gobbler weighs 6.6. Do you guys pack decoys with these things?

SteelerFan

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on April 06, 2017, 12:11:58 AM
Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on April 06, 2017, 12:09:29 AM

Nm...midway days 7lbs. The gobbler weighs 6.6. Do you guys pack decoys with these things?

If I pack decoys, it's just a pair of Montanas collapsed in my vest. Yes, the chairs are 6-7 lbs. Almost like toting a 2nd gun. If you have a good strap or carry system, it's not bad at all.

Some don't like the extra bulk, but I don't mind it. The Browning strap is long enough to throw over my head and sling the chair under my left arm. It rides at waist level on my left ( I'm 6'1, 210) and I can still sling my gun on my right shoulder. I am a "mobil" hunter - sometimes covering several (3-5) miles a day when necessary.

For me, the advantages make it worth carrying. I've chased gobblers in the MD / PA / WV mountain regions for 30+ yrs, sitting on bare ground, cushions, folding stools... the lounger style chair is by far the most comfortable. I can sit longer, and in a more variety of places (don't need a tree to lean against). My back & butt thank me now.

EDIT: For what it's worth... the Browning is just an Alps chair with Browning logo.

captpete

I have a Cables and Turkey Thug brand that they sell at Walmart. I see very little difference in them. I picked the Thug chair up on clearance for about $15.
  I just put mine in the game pouch of my vest. I take 2 DSD decoys also. I usually take my vest off when I'm sitting in the chair so putting it in the game pouch is not an issue for me. When I take the wife, her chair goes in my vest also, but I'm usually not carrying a gun.
The chairs are a little bulky, but make up for that in the fact that you can sit just about anywhere and for a lot longer period of time. I have sat in a brushy fence row with nothing more than a few 2" diameter saplings and grass. I have sat for as long as 3 hours.

joey46

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 06, 2017, 12:03:43 AM
Quote from: Phire Phite on April 05, 2017, 09:55:33 PM

X2  I have 2 of them, like them alot

Gobbler Lounger - I added a foam padded strap to mine which helps the lugging into the woods.  Now doing a lot of fixed position blind hunting so it is a must have.

bbcoach

For a loooooong sit, a chair is wonderful not required but definitely very much appreciated.  I have the Alps and Walmart brands.  The Alps is very comfortable, solidly built and a little wider to accommodate individuals up to 300 lbs.  The Turkey thug from Walmart is also a quality chair and comfortable as well.  The Alps are a little more expensive but the quality is there as well.  Give them both a look, you can't go wrong with either.

Tail Feathers

The Cabela's Gobbler Lounger is a bit lighter and is good for 225 lbs.  The Turkey Thug at Wal Mart is a bit heavier but holds up to 300 lbs if I recall correctly.
The Lounger is more expensive but made or quieter material.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dtrkyman

I have an alps...had a bass pro that was lightest I found but it fell apart...hate carrying it...love sitting in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFultzjr

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 05, 2017, 11:54:30 PM
The only one I've tried:

Browning Camping 8525014 Strutter Folding Chair (Regular) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PIRAYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZTB5ybHN1B75J

But I give it 5 stars...

Very nice chair.
Make sure when you check the link, you look at additional prices just under description. One is $35.84 with Prime shipping, direct from Amazon.
Good thing to do with anything you get from Amazon. They don't always "highlight" the best price.

SteelerFan

Quote from: HFultzjr on April 06, 2017, 09:55:28 AM

Very nice chair.
Make sure when you check the link, you look at additional prices just under description. One is $35.84 with Prime shipping, direct from Amazon.
Good thing to do with anything you get from Amazon. They don't always "highlight" the best price.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007PIRAYE/ref=olp_f_primeEligible?ie=UTF8&f_new=true&f_primeEligible=true

HFultzjr

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 06, 2017, 10:34:48 AM
Quote from: HFultzjr on April 06, 2017, 09:55:28 AM

Very nice chair.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007PIRAYE/ref=olp_f_primeEligible?ie=UTF8&f_new=true&f_primeEligible=true

Yep, that's it. A lot of people miss that and just click the "add to cart".